Barcelona manager Hansi Flick has voiced his frustration over the scheduling of Thursday evening's clash against Osasuna, coming just days after several of his players were involved in international duty.
The match, set to take place at the Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys, was originally postponed earlier this month following the passing of Barcelona's club doctor, Carles Minarro Garcia.
Both clubs had appealed to the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to delay the rescheduled fixture, citing concerns over player recovery after the international break. However, their request was promptly rejected.
Both Raphinha and Ronald Araujo have been ruled out for the rescheduled fixture. Araujo's absence means Inigo Martinez and Eric Garcia will form the central defensive partnership, while young talent Pau Cubarsi, recovering from an ankle injury sustained during international duty with Spain, will be available on the bench.
On a more positive note, Frenkie de Jong and Robert Lewandowski are fit for selection after representing the Netherlands and Poland, respectively. However, Flick expressed frustration over their readiness.
“It’s not the best situation for them. The players have played with their national teams, and that’s bad,” Flick said. “Now we have to play against Osasuna, and we have to talk about whether it’s the right time. I’m not happy. There are other leagues that do it differently.
“I can’t change that. That’s my personal opinion. But we’re going to play, we’re not making excuses. The team is ready, and we have to strive for the best performance. We’re going for it. The quality of the team is good, and we can beat anyone, even if the players don’t get the optimal rest.”
Barcelona will benefit from the availability of Wojciech Szczesny, who reportedly declined to play for Poland during the international break. Additionally, Jules Kounde, Alejandro Balde, Pedri, Lamine Yamal, and Ferran Torres are all expected to feature in the starting XI.
The clash against Osasuna kicks off a demanding stretch for Barcelona, with seven games lined up over the next 20 days across La Liga, the Copa del Rey, and the Champions League. Flick, however, appeared confident in his squad's ability to handle the workload.
“I’ve spoken to the rest of the staff and the physios, and we’ve talked about what we can do to help the players recover better,” he explained. “They’ve told me they’re fit, fine. Playing every three days isn’t a big deal for them, and I believe them.”
Sign up for the Daily Briefing
Get the latest news and updates straight to your inbox