liverpoolecho.co.uk

Everton new stadium first match-winner reflects on making club history

Kingsford Boakye enjoyed a milestone moment when he scored at Everton's new stadium on Sunday

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - MARCH 23: Kingsford Boakye of Everton celebrates scoring his teams first goal during the Everton FC U21s v Bolton Wanderers B Second Test Event Friendly Match at Everton Stadium at Bramley Moore Dock on March 23, 2025 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Emma Simpson/Everton FC)

Kingsford Boakye celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Everton U21s v Bolton Wanderers B game at Everton Stadium

Everton’s first match winner at the club’s new stadium has reflected on his landmark experience. Kingsford Boakye headed in from close range to give the Under-21s the lead against Bolton Wanderers B on Sunday in the second test event at the waterfront ground.

It was the only goal in a game cut short by a pre-planned evacuation in the second half - a necessary step in the move towards earning safety approvals for Everton’s stunning new home.

Boakye met Roman Dixon’s cross to give the supporters in attendance something to cheer. Reliving the moment, he said: “I was really excited because this was what all the team and staff had been working for.

READ MORE: Marco Silva makes classy Everton comments and 'people don't understand claim'READ MORE: Vitalii Mykolenko speaks out on injury and Everton treatment plan before Liverpool

“We have been training hard, we have been doing a lot of work, so I was very excited. It was a great opportunity for the lads, playing in the new stadium with over 25,000 supporters, so it was really nice.”

The 20-year-old has been blighted by injuries since he joined the club last year as a free agent, having had a stint with AC Milan after coming through the ranks at MSK Zilina Africa in Ghana.

On the wider experience on Sunday, he told club media: “It was a really nice stadium, the pitch is nice, the atmosphere, the supporters, everything was really fantastic.”

Boakye’s goal was the first to be scored from open play by an Everton player at the ground.

The first event saw Everton’s U18s lose 2-1 to Wigan Athletic U18s, the Blues’ goal coming via a late Ray Robert penalty.

Read full news in source page