Striker Chris Wood has been ruled out of Nottingham Forest’s FA Cup quarter-final clash with Brighton and Hove Albion.
The 33-year-old sustained a hip injury on Monday and the Reds make the trip to the south coast on Saturday (5.15pm kick-off) with a place in the last-four of the competition and a trip to Wembley at stake. But they will do so without top scorer Wood in the ranks.
Wood was injured while on duty for New Zealand. He had a scan before he returned to the UK and has undergone another one today, since his return Trentside.
Forest are sweating on the outcome of that assessment as they wait to discover the extent of Wood’s problem. However, head coach Nuno Espirito Santo has said the forward will not be available at the Amex Stadium.
“He went for a scan today and we are still waiting for the result,” Nuno said in his pre-match press conference. “He went to see a specialist to do the scan, so we will wait on the information.
“He is not going to be available for this game. He fell really hard on his hip and there is pain there, so we have to wait.”
The likes of Murillo, Ola Aina and Ramon Sosa are facing quick turnarounds from linking back up with the squad late in the week due to their international schedules.
“Every time there is an international break we have to assess the players,” Nuno said. “Many of them just arrived back today and we are still waiting for Sosa to come back tomorrow, then we will assess all of them.”
Carlos Miguel is back in training after being sidelined since suffering a hamstring issue in last month’s fourth round FA Cup win over Exeter City. The Brazilian has been Nuno’s designated cup goalkeeper this season but it could be that No.1 Matz Sels is between the posts this weekend.
Get your special Nottingham Forest in Europe souvenir edition
We have produced a special 48-page edition of the Nottingham Post celebrating the club’s two European Cup wins.
Nottingham Forest are flying high in the Premier League and Reds fans are dreaming of a return to European competition. It has been an outstanding campaign for Nuno Espirito Santo’s men, who are on course for a place in the Champions League next season. And Forest supporters can whet their appetite for a possible return to football’s top tier on the continent with our 48-page special edition celebrating the club’s two European Cup wins.
undefined
Buy now and have it delivered directly to your door. Alternatively you can purchase in most supermarkets, high street retailers and independent newsagents in Nottinghamshire from April, 2 2025.
For online order postage and packaging applies, orders will be posted from April 2, 2025.
“He is back in training. He joined us fully during the international break and he is training well,” Nuno said of Miguel.
“We have a decision to make regarding Saturday. The only issue is I don’t know if it is the right moment to put him in to start the game. I’m not sure. I have to think.”
How should Forest line up at Brighton? Click HERE to have your say