By LUKE POWER
Published: 11:29 EDT, 27 March 2025 | Updated: 11:45 EDT, 27 March 2025
Mohamed Salah could be closer than ever to tying down his Liverpool future as he has entered into serious contract renewal talks, according to a major Egyptian outlet.
The Liverpool star is said to have received a more compelling offer than previously by a source inside the Liverpool camp.
Salah's deal expires at the end of the season and throughout the season he has hinted that he is closer to leaving than staying - or, in his words, 'more out than in.'
'Liverpool's management has opened negotiations with Rami Abbas, Mohamed Salah's agent, to renew the Egyptian star's contract with Liverpool for the time being,' a source told Masrawy.
'Negotiations between Liverpool and Rami Abbas, Salah's agent, are much more advanced this time than ever before, and the offer presented is higher than any offer made to the player before.'
However, the report's also added a bomshell line concerning Trent Alexander-Arnold.
'Arnold’s imminent departure from Liverpool will be a major factor in Salah’s contract renewal, following the reduction of the club’s high salaries, allowing the Egyptian star to be given what he desires in his new contract with the Reds,' the source says.
The confident mention of Alexander-Arnold's 'imminent departure' will ring alarm bells for Reds fans, who discovered on Tuesday that Real Madrid remain confident of signing him.
Mail Sport reported in December that the champions of Europe were certain Alexander-Arnold would be their man and were planning for life with the England international in their team.
That confidence has only intensified since then, although sources close to Liverpool suggest that they have had no indication yet that any deal has been completed.
Real Madrid have been legally permitted to talk to Alexander-Arnold since January 1 — and have been doing so — as his contract at Anfield expires in June. The champions of Europe made a direct approach to Liverpool on New Year’s Eve to sign him in January but it was swiftly rebuffed.
The Premier League leaders saw no sense in cashing in on their right back in January – Madrid were willing to pay around £20million to get him early – as they were still competing in four competitions at that time. That decision has been vindicated.
Mail Sport understands those in the Spanish capital have long expected Alexander-Arnold to join but Florentino Perez was keen to respect Liverpool so did not want to make any news public.
But sources in Madrid reckon completing a move is a matter of a formality at this stage.
More to follow.