The United Kingdom has announced sanctions against four individuals implicated in “serious human rights violations”, in a move it says is aimed at promoting accountability and challenging the culture of impunity that continues to shield perpetrators.
The sanctions, unveiled by UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy on Wednesday, target senior figures from both the Sri Lankan military and a government-affiliated paramilitary group, including individuals linked to extrajudicial killings, torture, and sexual violence.
Those sanctioned are:
• Shavendra Silva, former Head of the Sri Lankan Armed Forces;
• Wasantha Karannagoda, former Navy Commander;
• Jagath Jayasuriya, former Commander of the Sri Lankan Army;
• Vinayagamoorthy Muralitharan, also known as Karuna Amman, who led the pro-government Karuna Group, a paramilitary unit that operated in collaboration with the Sri Lankan military.
The sanctions consist of asset freezes and travel bans, and come after years of demands from campaigners for stronger measures to be taken against Sri Lankans who have committed crimes against Tamils
“The UK government is committed to human rights in Sri Lanka, including seeking accountability for human rights violations and abuses which took place during the civil war, and which continue to have an impact on communities today,” said Lammy.
“I made a commitment during the election campaign to ensure those responsible are not allowed impunity. This decision ensures that those responsible for past human rights violations and abuses are held accountable.”
The move comes amidst what the UK describes as a renewed commitment to engage with Sri Lanka’s new government. The UK said it looks forward to working with the administration on “human rights” reforms and welcomed recent statements on “national unity”.
During a visit to Sri Lanka in January, UK Minister for the Indo-Pacific, Catherine West MP, met with Sri Lankan Prime Minister Dissanayake, Foreign Minister Herath, civil society organisations, and Tamil political leaders in the North. Discussions centred on transitional justice and the need for accountability mechanisms.
“For communities to move forward together, there must be acknowledgement and accountability for past wrongdoing, which the sanctions listings introduced today will support,” said the UK Foreign Office in a statement. “We want all Sri Lanka’s communities to be able to grow and prosper.”
The Sri Lankan military has been accused of extensive rights abuses, particularly during the final stages of the Mullivaikkal genocide in 2009. Investigations by the UN and human rights organisations have detailed mass civilian killings, enforced disappearances, and widespread use of sexual violence—none of which have led to domestic prosecutions of senior military or political figures.
Several senior Sri Lankan figures have already been sanctioned by the United States and Canada.
Britian now becomes the third country to place sanctions on Sri Lankans accused of war crimes.
Read more: Explainer: Which Sri Lankan officials have been sanctioned so far?
“I welcome today’s announcement of sanctions on individuals accused of serious human rights abuses during the Sri Lankan Civil War,” said British parliamentarian Uma Kumaran.
“Tamils in the UK and around the world have long been calling for justice for the atrocities committed in the final stages of the war.”
“The scars of the conflict and the deaths of tens of thousands of people will never be forgotten. I know how deep the pain runs within the Tamil community, many of whom have been ceaselessly campaigning for this for 15 long years. Sanctions against those accused of human rights violations is an important first step. For too long, perpetrators have acted with impunity.”
Speaking on the current British government’s agenda, Kumaran said that “for many years Labour committed to ensuring those responsible were not allowed impunity”.
“Now in government we have acted.” However, the imposition of sanctions would not be the end, she added.
“I will continue to press for perpetrators to be referred to the International Criminal Court, as called for by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.”
“We owe it to the survivors, to the families still searching for answers, and to the next generation growing up in the shadow of these crimes. I will never stop using my voice to call for justice and accountability.”
I welcome today’s announcement of sanctions on individuals accused of serious human rights abuses during the Sri Lankan Civil War. pic.twitter.com/Zeie8YdNqQ
— Uma Kumaran MP (@Uma_Kumaran) March 24, 2025
“The Tamil nation welcomes these initial sanctions from the UK government with great appreciation,” said Sen Kandiah the Chair of Tamils for Labour.
“Tamils for Labour extends its gratitude to Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, Foreign Secretary David Lammy, and his team for fulfilling their commitment to sanction Sri Lankan war criminals.”
“While this marks an important first step, much remains to be done to achieve full justice and accountability for Tamils. I am confident that the current Labour government will continue to stand with us in this pursuit.”
Today, we have delivered sanctions targeting individuals responsible for human rights violations during the civil war in Sri Lanka," said Catherine West, Foreign Office Minister for the Indo-Pacific. "The UK government is committed to working with the new Sri Lankan government on human rights and seeking accountability."
See more on those sanctioned below.
Shavendra Silva, as the commander of the 58th Division, oversaw repeated bombing of hospitals, widespread sexual violence, torture, and the execution of surrendering Tamils during the final stages of the armed conflict.
Wasantha Karannagoda served as Sri Lanka's Navy Commander from 2005 to 2009, during the armed conflict which saw the massacre of tens of thousands of Tamils. In 2019, he was named as the 14th suspect in the case of the abduction and forced disappearance of 11 people, who were predominantly Tamil.
Jagath Jayasuriya served as 19th Commander of the Sri Lankan Army and oversaw the brutal assault on the northern province during the final stages of the armed conflict. His operations oversaw acts of torture, sexual violence, targeted attacks on civilians, the shelling of hospitals, and summary executions. He has been rewarded with important diplomatic posts serving in Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Argentina, Chile, and Suriname.
Vinayagamoorthy Muralitharan, once a senior figure in the LTTE, defected in 2004 and formed the Karuna Group, which operated as a pro-government paramilitary organisation accused of abductions, extrajudicial killings, and child recruitment in the East. Despite these accusations, Muralitharan was appointed as a minister in Mahinda Rajapaksa’s government and has never been held to account.