A tourist submarine accident off the coast of Hurghada in Egypt on Thursday has led to six deaths.
The Egyptian governor of the Red Sea region, Amr Hanafy, said six tourists were dead and 39 others were rescued, according to BBC. Hanafy said nine of those rescued sustained injuries, and all passengers had been accounted for.
JOIN US ON TELEGRAM
Follow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official.
The local Russian embassy earlier confirmed to Russian state media TASS that five victims, including two children, were Russian nationals.
Russian embassy officials initially told TASS that all passengers onboard were Russian nationals, but Hanafy later clarified that there were 45 passengers from Russia, India, Norway and Sweden on board, plus five Egyptians.
A tour submarine operated by a local company called Sindbad sank 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) from shore around 10 a.m. local time near Hurghada during a coral reef tour. The cause of the accident remains unclear at the time of publication.
Hanafy said the submarine involved had a valid license.
The latest incident followed a similar naval incident south of the coastal town of Marsa Alam in November, which led to at least 17 passengers being reported missing at the time.
This isn’t the first time that the waters off Hurghada have been a site of tragedy for Russian tourists. In June 2023, a Russian national was attacked and killed by a shark there.