Arsenal continue to be heavily linked with a number of strikers heading into the summer transfer window.
The likes of Alexander Isak, Viktor Gyokeres, Benjamin Sesko and now, Hugo Ekitike are all potential options to reinforce Mikel Arteta's attack next season. However, it appears that Isak is the priority.
Isak continues to shine in the Premier League and has recently helped himself to a League Cup winner's medal after scoring what proved to be the decisive goal in the final against Liverpool at Wembley. However, he comes at a hefty price with Newcastle United reputedly looking for a fee in the region of £130million.
As the Magpies look to tie him to a new long-term deal, football.london has taken a look at the latest news surrounding the striker.
Contract talks stall
Newcastle have reportedly paused contract talks with Alexander Isak amid intense interest from the Premier League including Arsenal.
The Magpies have been keen to tie Isak to a new long-term deal but it appears to have been proven difficult so far. That's according to Caught Offside, which reports that the Swedish star rejcted their 'initial proposals.'
It's said the club will now reassess and plan their next move.
Future claim
"From within the club and from our side there are absolutely no discussions. It's just full focus on playing for me," Isak told Fotboll Skanalen. "There is a lot of writing outside but within the club no one is talking about anything like that. I just want to perform for Newcastle.
"Now we won the cup, but we want to finish strong and reach the Champions League games. It's pretty normal, pretty much the same as it was before. I do my best to relax and live as usual. But it's clear that it's hard to avoid everything that is written on social media."
Keown suggests transfer is 'done'
Arsenal legend Martin Keown believes that the Gunners have already signed a striker to alleviate their goalscoring concerns next season. "Sesko at Leipzig is more of a player who is easier to attain than [Alexander] Isak, and he’s an up-and-comer," he told TNT Sports.
"I would suggest that there’s already been a player bought, and that it’s already done from an Arsenal point of view. They won’t be making this mistake again."
Eddie Howe's comments
"We have to try and keep our best players," the Magpies boss previously said. "That's crucial to our short-term success and our long-term success, so sitting here as the manager of the football club, I'd be saying we need to keep the group together and we need to add the other way.
"We haven't added [to the first team] in a long time in various transfer windows for the reasons we've all discussed."
Arsenal 'have alternative' to Isak
The Gunners have 'identified' Eintracht Frankfurt's Hugo Ekitike as an alternative to Isak, claims The Sun. Ekitike has caught the eye of several Premier League clubs - who have asked to be kept informed of his availability.
Frankfurt are expected to demand around £60million for the attacker.
Join the football.london Arsenal WhatsApp channel
Arsenal Manager Mikel Arteta, Bukayo Saka, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Jesus with the Arsenal Therapy Dog Win during the Arsenal Men's team group shoot at London Colney on September 18, 2023
Join our Arsenal WhatsApp channel and get all the latest breaking news, opinion, podcasts and in-depth stories from football.london's dedicated Arsenal writers straight to your phone!
By following this free service you will be the first to know the news from the Emirates Stadium as it happens, when it happens.
To join our dedicated Arsenal channel, all you have to do is click this link and you can join thousands of others following our Gunners coverage!
If you're curious, you can check out our privacy policy here.