Andre Onana has now admitted that he was “already aware of the difficulties” at Old Trafford after speaking to two former Manchester United players ahead of his move.
The 28-year-old Manchester United No 1 has been away from Old Trafford during the March international break with his native homeland of Cameroon.
Andre Onana featured for Cameroon in his country’s 0-0 World Cup qualifying match against Eswatini at the Mbombela Stadium in South Africa last week.
The former Inter Milan and Ajax star returned between the sticks on Tuesday and watched Cameroon secure a 3-1 victory over Libya at the Stade Ahmadou Ahidjo.
Following the World Cup qualifier against Libya in Cameroon, Marc Brys’ men are currently second in the Group D table for their World Cup qualifying campaign.
Cameroon have picked up three wins and three draws from six World Cup qualifiers and Marc Brys’ side are one point behind Group D leaders Cape Verde.
READ MORE: Ruben Amorim told ‘Rolls-Royce’ Man Utd star offers ‘invaluable’ experience to entire squad, despite clear-cut warning
Photo by Carl Recine/Getty Images
Photo by Carl Recine/Getty Images
What Andre Onana was told ahead of leaving Inter Milan and completing his transfer to Man Utd
Andre Onana left Serie A side Inter Milan in 2023 after Manchester United signed the Cameroon international in a deal worth £47.2m.
More United News
The United shot-stopper succeeded United legend David de Gea between the sticks after he was reunited with former Ajax boss Erik ten Hag at Old Trafford.
However, Onana has been met with heavy criticism at times during his United career and the former Inter No 1 has been prone to errors during his spell so far.
Speaking to Le Media Carre, the Cameroon and United star touched on his experience with Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Romelu Lukaku at Italian side Inter.
Onana revealed that he spoke with Henrikh Mkhitaryan about United, while Romelu Lukaku told him about the Red Devils being a “complicated club.”
“No, it doesn’t burn me, it doesn’t burn my brain but it is Manchester United,” he said.
“I was already aware of the difficulties. I spoke with Mkhitaryan at the time I was with him at Inter.
“Lukaku, too, and he kept telling me it’s a complicated club and that everything is played mentally.”
READ MORE: Ruben Amorim’s Europa League final route could hinge on Man Utd star’s resurgence, monster display vs Lyon could happen
Andre Onana makes his position clear on Man Utd transfer and Old Trafford ‘opportunity’ after Inter Milan exit
Onana insisted that he was ready to make the move to United, irrespective of what former Red Devils stars Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Romelu Lukaku told him.
“But otherwise, it’s a fantastic club,” he added.
“In terms of results, it’s a little complicated at the moment but the club itself is gigantic and some certain players write to me to tell me [to] pack a jacket because it rains all the time, you will be depressed because the weather is not nice but you can’t say no to Manchester United, it’s an institution, one of the best clubs in the world, one of the biggest clubs in the world.
“When this opportunity came, I didn’t think long, when this proposal arrived, I said, ‘Manchester United, Premier League, let’s go.’
“It’s a new challenge, a new start, we’re going to give everything.”
United are back in action on 1st April when the Red Devils travel to City Ground to face Nottingham Forest in the Premier League, with kick-off slated for 8pm UK time.