CLEVELAND, Ohio — Deion Sanders confirmed on Thursday what he’s alluded to previously: that he’s cool with his son Shedeur playing for the Browns, and the other top quarterback-needy teams.
Sanders has previously states that there are some teams for whom he wouldn’t let his son play, but the Browns, who have the No. 2 overall pick, aren’t one of them. He’s never named the teams publicly.
With the Titans poised to draft Cam Ward No. 1 overall — unless they trade the pick — the Browns should have the chance to take Sanders at No. 2. The Giants at No. 3 also seem very interested.
Previously, Sanders had stated that he didn’t think his son would get past No. 3 based on his conversations with some of the top teams, including the Browns and Giants. Now, he’s casting a wider net, including all the usual suspects in the top 10 who need a QB.
“Shedeur has told me, he’s talked to me intently about all the visits he’s had with all the teams, so I know where his heart is, I know where he wants to go,” [Sanders said told Skip Bayless.](https://x.com/ESPNCleveland/status/1905276788550299921) “If it’s New York it’s New York, if it’s Tennessee, if it’s Cleveland, if it’s still the Raiders, if it’s New Orleans, if it’s any of those teams that are seeking a quarterback I’m happy with it, man. Because I know what he’s going to do to the organization.”
In January, after cleveland.com quoted Browns GM Andrew Berry as saying that “I don’t anticipate that being a problem” about Deion and the Browns, Deion “liked” a post on Instagram that aggregated the report.
The Browns will be represented at Sanders’ pro day at Colorado April 4th, and will also work him out privately there. They’ve also had him in for a top 30 visit, along with Cam Ward, Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter and Will Campbell. They also have a top 30 visit scheduled with Tyler Shough, a source said, and will or have privately worked out some of the other top quarterback prospects as they continue their diligence for draft, April 24-26.
In the meantime, the Browns don’t have to worry about Deion steering his son away from the Browns.
**Abdul Carter won’t participate in his pro day Friday**
--------------------------------------------------------
Penn State edge rusher Abdul Carter won’t work out at his pro day Friday, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told Adam Schefter on Thursday. Rosenhaus said he’s still rehabbing a shoulder injury suffered in the Boise State game.
Carter was also diagnosed with a stress fracture in his foot at the NFL Combine, but doctors determined that surgery wasn’t necessary.
Carter, the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year, is a popular pick for the Browns at No. 2 by many draft experts. He’s also a player, considering by some to be generational, that could draw trade interest at No. 2.
Last season, he recorded 12 sacks, 43 solo tackles — including 24 for a loss — four passes defensed and two forced fumbles in his 16 games. He’d pair nicely with 2023 NFL Defensive Player of the Year Myles Garrett.
**Steelers eyeing Jalen Milroe?**
---------------------------------
The Steelers’ top brass took Alabama quarterback Jalen Milroe to dinner before his Pro Day on March 18, and might be eyeing him with the No. 21 pick in the draft, according to Colin Cowherd. The addition of Milroe would mean two dangerous dual-threat running quarterbacks in the AFC North for the Browns to contend with potentially twice a year. Milroe, the best running QB in the draft, has been compared to two-time NFL MVP Lamar Jackson.
As was the case with Jackson in 2018 when he went No. 32 overall, some teams don’t know what to make of Milroe. But the Steelers have dealt with Jackson long enough to know how valuable such an athletic QB can be. Milroe also dazzled at his pro day with a 4.37 in the 40, third-fast time for a QB in history,
**Aaron Rodgers to retire?**
----------------------------
The Steelers, who met with Aaron Rodger for six hours last week, have been awaiting his decision on whether or not he’ll join them, but he might decide to retire, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports. The Steelers re-signed Mason Rudolph, and might opt for Milroe or someone else at 21. If they do draft a quarterback there, it will likely mean at least four quarterbacks in the first round, including Ward, Sanders, Jaxson Dart.
**Football Insider newsletter free trial:** Take a minute and [sign up for a free trial](https://link.cleveland.com/join/6fe/newsletter-football-insider-sign-up-emailform?) of our Football Insider newsletter, featuring exclusive content from cleveland.com's Browns reporters.