NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.
The National Basketball Association (NBA) and the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) on Thursday, March 27, announced their joint exploration of a new professional men’s basketball league in Europe.
The two entities will continue discussions that began more than a year ago with prospective investors, teams, arena developers and commercial partners.
ALSO READ: How Rwandan venture aims to make sports pay for Africa’s development
The announcement was made by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver and FIBA Secretary General Andreas Zagklis following the NBA Board of Governors meeting in New York and the FIBA Executive Committee meeting earlier this month in Mies, Switzerland.
"The European basketball community is proud of its seven-decade history of international club competitions and the elite talent it develops," said Zagklis.
Silver said the NBA and FIBA are uniquely positioned to build on the rich tradition of European basketball.
"We look forward to collaborating with FIBA to explore the creation of a new league for fans across the continent,” he noted.
Under the plan being explored, the new league would be integrated into the current European basketball landscape, with teams also participating in their respective national leagues. In addition to permanent teams, the league would offer clubs a merit-based pathway to qualification through the European basketball ecosystem.
Follow @NkotanyiDamas
SUBSCRIBE TO THE NEW TIMES E-PAPER