nottinghampost.com

Nottingham Forest transfer 'argument' emerges as contact made with agents of £26m winger

Nottingham Forest are said to have made contact with the agents of AC Milan winger Alexis Saelemaekers ahead of the summer transfer window.

The Reds were first linked with the 25-year-old last summer but he ended up joining Roma on a season-long loan. Although his stint with Claudio Ranieri’s side is going well, there is a question mark over his future as the end of the campaign approaches.

Last month, reports from Italy suggested Forest had their eye on Saelemaekers once again. And now they appear to have stepped up that interest as they begin to put plans in place for the upcoming transfer window.

Italian publication Calciomercato report the Reds have “tested the waters” with the Belgium international’s representatives. The club are said to have put forward some “interesting arguments” to try to lure the wide man to the City Ground.

Roma are said to be keen to keep him as he has become an important player for the Serie A outfit. However, they do not hold an option to make his move a permanent one and it is said Forest could pose “a serious threat” in the battle for his signature.

Milan are said to be looking for a fee in the region of €25-30 million (£21-26m) for Saelemaekers. Newcastle United were said to have him on their radar earlier in the year while Leicester City and West Ham United joined the Reds in eyeing him up last summer.

The Belgian’s versatility makes him an attractive proposition for clubs, with Forest head coach Nuno Espirito Santo a fan of players who can operate in a few different positions. Saelemaekers arrived at Roma as a left winger but has established himself as a right-back as the season has gone on.

Strengthening their attacking options will be a particular priority for the Reds in preparation for the 2025/26 term. Adding a striker to the ranks will be at the top of the club’s to-do list but adding a winger may also be on the cards.

Get your special Nottingham Forest in Europe souvenir edition

We have produced a special 48-page edition of the Nottingham Post celebrating the club’s two European Cup wins.

Nottingham Forest are flying high in the Premier League and Reds fans are dreaming of a return to European competition. It has been an outstanding campaign for Nuno Espirito Santo’s men, who are on course for a place in the Champions League next season. And Forest supporters can whet their appetite for a possible return to football’s top tier on the continent with our 48-page special edition celebrating the club’s two European Cup wins.

undefined

Buy now and have it delivered directly to your door. Alternatively you can purchase in most supermarkets, high street retailers and independent newsagents in Nottinghamshire from April, 2 2025.

For online order postage and packaging applies, orders will be posted from April 2, 2025.

Ramon Sosa and Jota Silva have mostly had to settle for substitute roles during their first year Trentside as they adapt to English football. The pair signed for Forest last summer as Nuno was keen to recruit competition and cover out wide for Anthony Elanga and Callum Hudson-Odoi.

Would Saelemaekers be a good signing for Forest? Click HERE to have your say

Read full news in source page