metro.co.uk

Carlo Ancelotti responds to threat of four Real Madrid stars missing Arsenal clash

Carlo Ancelotti’s Real Madrid side face Arsenal in the Champions League quarter finals (Picture: Marca)

Carlo Ancelotti insists he fully ‘trusts’ UEFA after the European governing body launched an investigation into the behaviour of four players following Real Madrid’s Champions League win over Atletico Madrid.

Kylian Mbappe , Vinícius Junior, Dani Ceballos and Antonio Rudiger were all accused of ‘indecent conduct’ during the controversial last 16 second leg clash earlier this month.

UEFA said it appointed a disciplinary inspector to study the unspecified allegations at the round of 16 game on March 12.

Video clips circulating on social media showed Mbappe grabbing his crotch during celebrations on the field after Real emerged victorious following a nailbiting penalty shootout.

Any ban imposed would force a player to miss Real’s game at Arsenal on April 8 in the first leg of the quarter finals.

Get personalised updates on Arsenal everyday

Wake up to find news on your club in your inbox every morning with Metro’s Football Newsletter.

Sign up to our newsletter and then select your team in the link we’ll send you so we can get football news tailored to you.

MADRID, SPAIN - MARCH 12: Antonio Rudiger of Real Madrid CF reacts after the UEFA Champions League 2024/25 UEFA Champions League 2024/25 Round of 16 second leg match between Atletico de Madrid and Real Madrid C.F. at Estadio Wanda Metropolitano on March 12, 2025 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Diego Souto/Getty Images) *** BESTPIX ***

Antonio Rudiger made a throat-slitting gesture towards Atletico Madrid fans (Getty)

Kylian Mbappe was seen grabbing his genitals in front of Atletico Madrid fans

Addressing the incident and subsequent investigation, Ancelotti spoke at a press conference on Friday and said: ‘We believe everything was correct and we hope UEFA makes a decision, but we trust that everything will end well.’

In a similar case prosecuted by UEFA at the European Championship last year, Jude Bellingham was given a one-game ban suspended for a probationary period of one year.

Bellingham scored a stoppage-time goal for England to level a round of 16 game against Slovakia when he gestured his hand toward his crotch.

UEFA disciplinary judges found Bellingham guilty of ‘violating the basic rules of decent conduct’ and fined him 30,000 euros.

MORE: Mikel Arteta warned Bukayo Saka comeback has given him a major problem

MORE: Arsenal transfer target with £21.4million clause has clear stance on Gunners move

MORE: Former Man Utd star mocks Trent Alexander-Arnold’s move to Real Madrid

Read full news in source page