football.london

Arsenal legend'in contact'with 25-goal striker as summer transfer window plans clear

Arsenal legend Ian Wright has confessed he's been in regular touch with former Gunners forward Mika Biereth.

Biereth, who was at the club for half a decade before his departure to Sturm Graz last summer, impressed with a 14-goal haul prior to his transfer to Monaco in January. Since joining the French outfit, Biereth has been on fire, banging in 11 goals in just 12 matches, a feat that includes three hat-tricks. In total this season, the 22-year-old has 25 goals and eight assists in 37 appearances.

Wright shared how he offered guidance to Biereth when the striker was contemplating his future at Arsenal. Speaking to Get French Football News, the Arsenal hero said: “I have to always give Mika the credit for proactively reaching out to me years ago. He was looking for advice on where he was at with his game, with the club and what he should do next.

"I will always give him credit for that because it’s very easy to not make yourself vulnerable to someone else. After he contacted me, we met at my local pub and we have stayed in touch since."

Wright added: "I’m incredibly proud of him, it’s an amazing record so far and long may it continue. He’s also contributing to the team as a whole."

When quizzed on whether Arsenal made a mistake in letting Biereth leave, Wright said: "If I'm honest it must've been something with the plans Arsenal had. Mika should've been in and around it at the moment.

"One of our chats early on was about him showing himself in the pre-season for Arsenal and giving it his best go. But he had the bravery to go to Scotland, then Austria and now France and that is what shows he wants to be the best!

"He has to be playing to prove that. His record speaks for itself. It's disappointing for Arsenal but on a human level, I'm delighted for him."

The Gunners' search for a new striker comes as several of their current forwards have struggled with injuries this season, highlighting the gap that Biereth could have filled. With the summer transfer window approaching, Arsenal's quest for a fresh goal-scoring talent becomes increasingly pressing.

Benjamin Sesko is reportedly high on Arsenal's radar, and with a release clause in place, the Gunners could secure his signature for an estimated £50million. Another name that has surfaced is Eintracht Frankfurt's Hugo Ekitike, while Newcastle's Alexander Isak is also rumoured to be of interest, although it would take a huge bid to pry him away from the Magpies.

Join the football.london Arsenal WhatsApp channel

Arsenal Manager Mikel Arteta, Bukayo Saka, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Jesus with the Arsenal Therapy Dog Win during the Arsenal Men's team group shoot at London Colney on September 18, 2023

Join our Arsenal WhatsApp channel and get all the latest breaking news, opinion, podcasts and in-depth stories from football.london's dedicated Arsenal writers straight to your phone!

By following this free service you will be the first to know the news from the Emirates Stadium as it happens, when it happens.

To join our dedicated Arsenal channel, all you have to do is click this link and you can join thousands of others following our Gunners coverage!

If you're curious, you can check out our privacy policy here.

Read full news in source page