Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti is confident four of his players will not be punished after Uefa launched an investigation for indecent conduct.
Atletico Madrid submitted official complaints to UEFA regarding alleged unsportsmanlike behaviour from Kylian Mbappe, Daniel Ceballos, Vinicius Junior and Antonio Rudiger. A Uefa investigation is underway with the four potentially facing disciplinary action after tensions escalated in the Champions League match against Atletico earlier this month.
Ancelotti's side went on to win 4-2 on penalties at the Wanda Metropolitano and tensions flared after Real Madrid players celebrated in front of the home fans. Sky Sports reported an Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector will 'investigate allegations of indecent conduct' by the players.
The Spanish giants will face Arsenal in the quarter-final of the Champions League, with the first-leg taking place at the Emirates Stadium. But whether the investigation will be concluded before the first leg on April 8, remains to be seen, however.
Speaking at a press-conference on Friday, Ancelotti is confident his players will not be charged. "We trust UEFA, we believe everything was done correctly," he said.
"The players celebrated, and we're waiting for UEFA to give us some feedback, but we're confident that everything will turn out well.
"We are confident in UEFA’s verdict as the players had just celebrated, that’s it"
Arsenal on the other hand, cruised past PSV Eindhoven in the previous round. Mikel Arteta's side won 7-1 in the match in the Netherlands before drawing 2-2 at the Emirates Stadium (9-3 on aggregate).
Ahead of facing Real Madrid, Arteta said: "The first thing is that you have to be at your best when it comes to that for the two games, for every minute.
"Don't give anything away, because they're going to take it. And today, we've seen that with the two goals that we've conceded as well, so that's a big learning.
"In the end, the game is going to be decided in the boxes, individual talent, individual performances is crucial, and then creating an unbelievable atmosphere when we have the opportunity to play at home, that is crucial."
Join the football.london Arsenal WhatsApp channel
Arsenal Manager Mikel Arteta, Bukayo Saka, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Jesus with the Arsenal Therapy Dog Win during the Arsenal Men's team group shoot at London Colney on September 18, 2023
Join our Arsenal WhatsApp channel and get all the latest breaking news, opinion, podcasts and in-depth stories from football.london's dedicated Arsenal writers straight to your phone!
By following this free service you will be the first to know the news from the Emirates Stadium as it happens, when it happens.
To join our dedicated Arsenal channel, all you have to do is click this link and you can join thousands of others following our Gunners coverage!
If you're curious, you can check out our privacy policy here.