aa.com.tr

France calls Israeli strike in Beirut ‘unacceptable’

**ISTANBUL**

French President Emmanuel Macron condemned Friday’s Israeli strike on Beirut as “unacceptable.”

“Today’s situation is unacceptable. It is not acceptable, and it does not comply with the framework we have defined,” Macron said at a joint news conference with Lebanese counterpart Joseph Aoun at the Elysee Palace, calling the rising tensions “counterproductive” and “unjust.”

He said the strikes and “failure to respect the ceasefire” constituted “unilateral actions” that violated prior commitments.

“The ongoing progress must continue, and all parties must honor their commitments to avoid jeopardizing the achievements so far,” he added, urging Israel to withdraw from Lebanese territory “as soon as possible.”

Macron said France would continue pushing for “concrete” and “realistic” steps that could work for both the Lebanese and Israeli sides if both agreed to negotiate on proposed solutions.

“France will continue to stand by your side to safeguard your sovereignty and ensure your security,” he said.

Macron added that he would speak with US President Donald Trump within hours and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the next two days to address the situation.

“The United States has the most leverage because Israel depends on the U.S. for the military equipment necessary for its ongoing operations. That is why the United States can exert particular pressure, which is exactly what we expect from the American president,” he said.

Macron also announced plans to prepare a financial aid package to support Lebanon’s reconstruction.

“Once the institutional and economic reforms launched by the Lebanese government are underway, we will host a new international conference in Paris, at the appropriate time, to support Lebanon’s recovery,” he said.

Macron and Aoun also held a remote meeting with Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa, joined later by Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and Greek Cypriot leader Nikos Hristodulidis for five-party talks.

“This meeting allowed us to define avenues for cooperation and action on security, border management, refugee returns, and international funding mobilization,” Macron said, adding that a roadmap would be finalized shortly.

He expressed France’s willingness to assist Syria, provided the government “represents all segments of Syrian civil society, takes a firm stance against terrorism, and facilitates refugee returns.”

“I must emphasize that the discussions we have had so far have been very positive,” he said, referring to the exchange with al-Sharaa.

[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)

Read full news in source page