Latest Developments
Rockets Fired at Israel, IDF Retaliates: Two rockets were fired from Lebanon at northern Israeli communities on March 28. One projectile fell short, landing in Lebanese territory, while other was intercepted by Israel’s air defense array. Later on the same day, the IDF said it struck a building in Beirut’s Dahiyeh district used by the Iran-backed terrorist group Hezbollah to store drones, along with additional Hezbollah targets in south Lebanon. The sortie marked the first time the IDF had targeted Hezbollah infrastructure in Beirut since the November 2024 ceasefire was implemented.
Israeli, Lebanese Officials React: Lebanese President Joseph Aoun condemned the Israeli strike on Beirut as he hosted the visiting French President Emannuel Macron. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in a statement that “we will not allow shooting at our communities, not even a drizzle.” Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz stated that as long as there is no peace in Israel’s northern communities, “there will be no peace in Beirut.”
Treasury Sanctions Hezbollah Network: The U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control sanctioned eight entities on March 28 for their involvement in a “Lebanon-based sanctions evasion network supporting the Hezbollah finance team.” OFAC stated that this team works alongside Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps- Quds Force “to generate and transfer revenue” for Hezbollah. “Today’s action underscores Treasury’s determination to expose and disrupt the schemes that fund Hezbollah’s terrorist violence against the Lebanese people and their neighbors,” said Bradley T. Smith, Acting Under Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence.
FDD Expert Response
“Israel’s new approach to threats from Lebanon marks a shift from its calculus during the early stages of the war. Previously, rocket attacks triggered limited responses—now, any incoming fire could mean a strike on Hezbollah’s stronghold of Dahiyeh. This highlights Hezbollah’s severe military degradation over the past 16 months.” — Ahmad Sharawi, Research Analyst
“There is no bigger proof of Lebanese inaction against Hezbollah than the continued presence of a drone warehouse in Dahiyeh. The Israeli airstrikes today underscore Lebanon’s refusal to enforce the ceasefire deal’s terms and its inability to control its territory. President Aoun covers for the group by immediately denying its responsibility for the rocket fire into northern Israel, while Prime Minister Salam gave an extensive interview to Al Arabiya excusing his government’s refusal to disarm Hezbollah.” —David Daoud, Senior Fellow
FDD Background and Analysis
“Israeli operations in Lebanon against Hezbollah: March 18–March 23,” by David Daoud
“Can Syria and Lebanon Rein In Hezbollah?” by Seth J. Frantzman
“IDF Strikes Dozens of Hezbollah Targets in Lebanon After Rockets Fired at Israeli Communities,” FDD Flash Brief
Issues:
Hezbollah Israel Israel at War Lebanon Sanctions and Illicit Finance