football.london

Andrea Berta Arsenal transfer mission laid out with Alexander Isak among three key deals

Arsenal look set to appoint Andrea Berta as the club's next sporting director - in one of the worst kept secrets this year.

The former Atletico Madrid chief will take on the vacant role left behind by Edu Gaspar following his surprise departure last month.

Various reports claim the Italian will be in position before Arsenal's clash with Fulham next week, with Fabrizio Romano claiming 'it's just a matter of time' until he's unveiled.

David Ornstein of The Athletic revealed in a Q&A that Berta had already informally started work, despite not yet being officially unveiled. He said: “I'm sure he'll be informally doing bits and bobs but hasn't officially started just yet.”

It's clear that Berta is nearing the start of his new role with the Gunners, with Mikel Arteta's side set to take on the Cottagers at the Emirates on Tuesday night.

Berta's impending appointment will mark the beginning of a new era at the club, and he'll already have one eye on the summer transfer window and improving his new side.

Football.london has taken a look at some of the first transfers Berta should look to get over the line after being appointed.

Martin Zubimendi

Berta's predecessor Edu put a lot of work into reportedly agreeing a deal for Spanish international Martin Zubimendi, stealing him from under the noses of Liverpool.

Real Madrid have also been credited with an interest in the Real Sociedad playmaker, and Berta should make this one a priority given Jorginho and Thomas Partey are both set to leave the club this summer.

Journalist Dharmesh Sheth told Sky Sports Transfer Talk Podcast: "I’d say that the Zubimendi one is almost definitely going to happen to Arsenal.

"I just wonder when you look back now to the summer transfer window, Liverpool were all set to sign Martin Zubimendi, and then there was a late change of heart.

"It’s not been confirmed to anyone, but seeing now, a year later, he’s very, very likely to join Arsenal, was there a late intervention by Arsenal in the summer? You’d have to ask that question because he looked all set to go to Liverpool.

"It looked like it was a done deal. The deal was agreed..."

Alexander Isak

Berta has a proven track record of getting huge deals over the line at Atletico - with Antoine Griezmann, Jan Oblak and Rodri joining under his watch - but there would be no bigger transfer deal done this summer than agreeing terms with Isak.

Matching Newcastle's reported £150million asking price appears to be the sticking point, with the Magpies intent on building their team around the in-form striker in the years to come.

He's undoubtedly one of the best strikers in world football at the time of writing, and would lift the Gunners onto a whole new level. It would be a real statement of intent from both Berta and Arsenal.

Alexander Isak of Newcastle United has been linked with Arsenal

Alexander Isak of Newcastle United has been linked with Arsenal (Image: Chris Brunskill/Fantasista/Getty Images)

Hugo Ekitike

If Arsenal are to be priced out of a move for Isak, they should be looking as Hugo Ekitike as their second choice striker.

The Frenchman has been one of the best strikers in the Bundesliga this season with Eintracht Frankfurt and is reportedly set to be available for a fee in the region of £60million.

Ekitike may not be as polished as Isak, but there are clear similarities and Newcastle did in fact want to sign the young French talent before moving for Isak. You would back Arteta to improve Ekitike and take him to another level, while also signing the out-and-out striker that Arsenal have been lacking in recent seasons.

If Berta were able to get this deal over the line, for substantially cheaper than Isak, it would allow the Gunners to focus elsewhere.

Joan Garcia

Another player who has been repeatedly linked with a move to Arsenal is Espanyol goalkeeper Joan Garcia. The Gunners were heavily linked with a move for the shot stopper in the summer, with Arteta said to view the 23-year-old as the perfect understudy to David Raya.

On transfer links, Garcia told Pizarritas on Friday: “Everyone likes to be spoken well of, to be talked about in the national team, but I take it as a prize, not as an obligation.

“I continue on my way, working and with the objective of achieving permanence with Espanyol. After that, whatever good things come my way, I welcome them.”

Read full news in source page