According to reports, Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola is on Brazil’s three-man ‘list’ of potential replacements for sacked Dorival Junior.
62-year-old Dorival was sacked on Friday night after only winning seven of his 16 matches in charge across all competitions since taking over in January 2024.
The final straw was Brazil’s embarrassing 4-1 loss to Argentina during the international break. This result leaves them fourth in the CONMEBOL World Cup qualification group.
On Friday evening, transfer expert Fabrizio Romano confirmed Dorival’s exit. He said: “Brazil have fired Dorival Junior following 4-1 defeat vs Argentina.
“He’s no longer the head coach as Brazil are now looking for new manager with immediate effect.”
Man City boss Guardiola has been heavily linked with a move into international football in recent years, with the Brazil job among his options.
READ: Man City tipped to be ‘wound up’ after FFP ‘private prosecutions’ with Haaland to Forest mooted
Speaking last year, Guardiola admitted he “would like” to manage a national team.
“I would like to train a national team for a World Cup or a European Championship. I would like that,” Guardiola admitted.
“When I started in this I never thought about winning a league title or winning the Champions League.
“No. I thought, I have a job? OK. I would like to have the experience of living through a World Cup, or a Euro or a Copa America, or whatever it is. I would like that.”
Now, a report from Brazilian outlet UOL claims Guardiola is on the ‘list’ of potential replacements for Dorival, along with Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti and Al Hilal boss Jorge Jesus.
MORE MAN CITY COVERAGE ON F365…
👉 Man City FFP: Transfer targets for expelled Premier League champions in League Two
👉 Man City: Guardiola draws up ‘huge five-man hit list’ in ‘unprecedented dressing room clean-up’
👉 Bournemouth vs Man City prediction, expected line-ups, how to watch and stats
Regarding Brazil’s preferred choice, the report explains.
‘If he had to choose one, President Ednaldo Rodrigues would put Ancelotti in the role.
‘The Italian is an “old” love, who did not sign when the CBF initially wanted, in 2023. Today, Ancelotti said that he has not yet been approached by the Brazilian national team and reinforced that he has a contract with Real Madrid until mid-2026.
‘But the president of the CBF knows that he needs to broaden the field. And that’s why he’s expanding the front that includes, for example, Guardiola and Jorge Jesus.
‘According to those close to Ednaldo, the exercise at the moment is to call on intermediaries to probe the possibilities of each desired coach.
‘After that, it’s a matter of understanding which is more viable and how and if the respective conversations will move forward. Even Abel Ferreira, from Palmeiras, could enter the radar with more force.’