chroniclelive.co.uk

Sandro Tonali scoffs at Barcelona talk and delivers strong Newcastle United transfer message

Sandro Tonali of Newcastle United

Sandro Tonali of Newcastle United (Image: Serena Taylor/Newcastle United via Getty Images)

Sandro Tonali has scoffed at any talk of a move to Barcelona this summer - insisting he is settled at St James' Park.

The Italy international has made 35 appearances for Newcastle United in all competitions, scoring three goals and making two assists. But in the January window Tonali was linked with a return home to AC Milan and Juventus while springtime transfer talk has resulted in him being mentioned as target for Barca.

Despite continued messages from his agency that he has no intention of a return to Italy, Tonali's camp have watched on as reports keep talking about a departure from St James' Park.

Tonali told Sky Sports: "I think a lot of players at Newcastle say that being here one month is the same feeling as two years. The football and the area is so lovely."

When asked if the speculation bothered him he said: "No, and last season as well, I don't use my phone a lot. I only use it for my family and not for social media.

"I have social media, but I use it after the game or for my life (pictures), and not for the transfers. I never used social media when I was young or for transfers."

With Tonal's 10-month FIFA ban behind him, the midfielder says he feels like he owes the Newcastle fanbase for their back through a difficult time for the star.

Tonali said: "I feel like I owe them back for the last year and the 10 month ban. I was at the training ground and at St James' Park and from the fans I felt the same love as the players who were starting the game. I felt much better after every game."

Newcastle United Carabao Cup WINNERS 2024/25

At last, Newcastle have their hands on silverware!

After an agonising 56-year wait, the Magpies' amazing army of fans can celebrate watching their side lift a trophy after their Carabao Cup final win. And to celebrate, the Newcastle Chronicle have produced this souvenir special, marking the Wembley triumph.

It is packed full of reaction, analysis and quotes as well as amazing pictures from the day, and a centre-spread poster.

It is the perfect souvenir of an historic day for Newcastle.

Buy now and have it delivered directly to your door. Alternatively you can purchase in most supermarkets, high street retailers and independent newsagents in the North East from March 20, 2025.

Read full news in source page