helsinkitimes.fi

Hungary accuses Brussels of war policy to hide Ukraine spending

“There’s only one explanation: Brussels is preparing for war,” he said.

His remarks followed the release of a video by EU Commissioner for Crisis Management Hadja Lahbib, instructing the bloc’s 450 million citizens on how to pack a 72-hour survival kit. The video, which triggered widespread online criticism, was accompanied by warnings that the Ukraine war posed a long-term security risk to the entire EU.

Szijjarto said he initially assumed the warning was a joke or “trolling,” but concluded that EU institutions were serious about escalating preparations. He argued that European leaders were using the continuation of the war to avoid political fallout over failed policy and financial oversight.

“Why? Because as long as the war continues, pro-war European politicians can avoid taking responsibility for three years of failure, and avoid answering an extremely uncomfortable question: where is the money that was sent to Ukraine?” he wrote.

According to figures from Germany’s Kiel Institute, EU institutions and member states have committed over €132 billion to support Kiev since 2022, with a further €115 billion pledged but not yet disbursed. The funding has included weapons, budget support, humanitarian aid, and reconstruction pledges.

The criticism from Budapest came as European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen unveiled an €800 billion defence plan, primarily based on loans, aimed at increasing joint military capabilities.

Despite a limited ceasefire brokered by Washington earlier this year, which included a moratorium on attacks against energy infrastructure, the EU has continued to advocate for enhanced military involvement. Moscow has accused Kiev of violating the ceasefire, while the EU has moved forward with new spending and strategic plans.

French President Emmanuel Macron and British Prime Minister Keir Starmer have jointly proposed deploying a so-called “reassurance force” to Ukraine after a peace agreement is reached. The plan, presented under the revived phrase “coalition of the willing,” has drawn criticism and rejection from multiple European countries.

At a summit in Paris on Thursday attended by Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky, Macron said the force would be ready to move in after a deal with Russia. The term “coalition of the willing” was previously used by the US in 2003 to describe backers of the Iraq invasion.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni said Rome would not participate in any future troop deployments. In a statement issued by her office, she confirmed Italy’s position and called for continued cooperation with the United States to bring about a political settlement.

Meloni told the Financial Times on Friday that pressuring Italy to choose between the EU and the US was “childish.” Instead of sending troops, she proposed extending NATO’s collective defence clause to Ukraine, without granting it full membership.

Croatian President Zoran Milanovic also ruled out involvement, saying Zagreb would not support a force lacking both a peace agreement and consent from Russia. “The necessary conditions are simply not met,” he said in comments on Thursday.

Russia has repeatedly stated it will not accept any foreign troop presence in Ukraine tied to NATO. Moscow has accused the UK and France of trying to create conditions for direct military confrontation, which the Kremlin says could lead to conflict between NATO and Russia.

Since returning to office, US President Donald Trump has called for a negotiated end to the war and criticised past US spending on Ukraine. His administration estimates that over $300 billion was sent by his predecessor, which he has labelled a “gift” to Kiev. Trump’s position has included pushing for talks between Washington and Moscow, which have proceeded without the involvement of Brussels or London.

While Trump has promoted diplomatic channels, EU leadership has not shifted from its public commitment to Ukraine’s long-term defence. Von der Leyen’s new plan includes loans to member states to accelerate defence procurement, raise ammunition production, and integrate armed forces more closely.

As tensions rise over the future of Europe’s involvement in Ukraine, Szijjarto warned that Brussels was turning away from the possibility of peace. “At a time when there’s finally a real chance for a ceasefire and meaningful peace talks with President Trump’s return to office,” he wrote, “Brussels is going in the opposite direction.”

Read full news in source page