**ISTANBUL**
Syrian authorities said Saturday that they had seized weapons and explosives planned to be used by loyalists of the deposed Bashar al-Assad regime to carry out terrorist attacks.
In a statement, the General Security Directorate said the explosives were seized in the Al-Waer neighborhood in the central Homs city following a tip-off.
“The seized weapons and explosives were prepared to be used in carrying out terrorist attacks in the area,” the statement said.
Syrian security forces regularly carry out raids targeting Assad loyalists, who refused to surrender their weapons to the new authorities.
Assad, Syria’s leader for nearly 25 years, fled to Russia after anti-regime groups took control of Damascus in December, ending the Baath Party regime, which had been in power since 1963.
Ahmed al-Sharaa, who led anti-regime forces to oust Assad, was declared president for a transitional period in late January.
[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)