Arsenal have long been linked with a move for Spain international Martin Zubimendi and reports claim that a deal has now been agreed that will see the midfielder join in the summer
Comments
Sport
Arsenal's Spanish manager Mikel Arteta looks on during the English Premier League football match between Arsenal and Chelsea
Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta(Image: BENJAMIN CREMEL, AFP via Getty Images)
Arsenal have reportedly agreed a deal to sign Real Sociedad midfielder Martin Zubimendi this summer. Zubimendi is said to have a £51million release clause in his contract and Arsenal have held a longstanding interest in the Spain international.
It was previously reported that the Gunners were in advanced talks to sign Zubimendi after he rejected a move to Liverpool last summer, with Arsenal expected to let Thomas Partey and Jorginho leave the Emirates when their deals expire.
Article continues below
And according to a new report from Marca Radio, as per Sport Witness, Zubimendi is 'on his way to Arsenal'. It had been claimed that Real Madrid were ready to hijack Arsenal's move, but it appears as though the Gunners have already won the race.
When asked about his future last December, Zubimendi opened up about his decision to turn down Liverpool and admitted he is open to leaving Sociedad at some point in the future. "I went on vacation, and it caught me by surprise," he told El Diario Vasco.
READ MORE: New Arsenal transfer chief given Martin Zubimendi assignment as deal almost completeREAD MORE: Ian Wright reveals striker who could help Arsenal now has already made contact
"It wasn't something I had planned. I reacted when the situation arose. It was an uncomfortable time for me but I weighed the pros and cons and concluded that the best option was to stay.
"I don't believe in 'once-in-a-lifetime' opportunities. If you're good and want to achieve something, it will come to you. There's no need to rush.
"I looked at my personal progression, who I am, and the club's project. I stayed because I knew this season would be important for me in the team, and I still had steps to take.
"It wasn't that hard of a decision. There were many reasons for my decision, but I was selfish and thought about what was best for me – and that was staying."
VALENCIA, SPAIN - MARCH 23: Martin Zubimendi of Spain looks on during the UEFA Nations League Quarterfinal Leg One match between Spain and Netherlands at Mestalla Stadium on March 23, 2025 in Valencia, Spain. (Photo by Cristian Trujillo/Quality Sport Images/Getty Images)
Martin Zubimendi is reportedly set to join Arsenal(Image: Cristian Trujillo/Quality Sport Images/Getty Images)
Arsenal are also in the market for attacking reinforcements this summer, having seen their Premier League title bid falter after the likes of Bukayo Saka, Gabriel Jesus and Kai Havertz all suffered serious injuries.
They did attempt to sign a new forward in the January transfer window, but ultimately came up short with manager Mikel Arteta admitting: "We had a clear intention which is there is a window open.
"For the players that can impact it, we haven't achieved it. We are disappointed. But we are very aware that we only want to bring certain types of player.
"The intention the improve the squad if we have the capacity to do it. We focus in the things that we have to continue to do."
Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.