football.london

Viktor Gyokeres fires Arsenal transfer reminder as new Chelsea star sends Enzo Maresca message

Viktor Gyokeres has fired Arsenal and Chelsea a reminder ahead of the summer transfer. The 26-year-old striker has been heavily linked with a move to the Premier League for a while now as he continues to impress for Sporting CP.

Gyokeres, who sees his contract at the José Alvalade Stadium expire in June 2028, has featured 26 times in the Primeira Liga this season, scoring 30 goals and providing six assists. Playing a key role in Rui Borges' side, he's fired Sporting to the top of the table.

The Sweden international's eye-catching performances haven't gone under the radar, with numerous top clubs said to be chasing his signature. Gyokeres could be one of most coveted frontmen in Europe this summer – especially after his latest performance.

On Saturday night, he netted a brace in a 3-0 win over Estrela da Amadora. Gyokeres put Sporting ahead shortly after half-time before Geovany Quneda, who Chelsea recently agreed to sign from the Portuguese giants, doubled the lead with a brilliant strike from a tight angle.

Then, Gyokeres converted his second penalty of the game in the final minutes of the tie. With Mikel Arteta and Enzo Maresca both said to be hopeful of strengthen their attack this summer, the Sporting talisman has been mooted as a potential target.

Speaking to Marca at the end of last year after winning the Guldbollen – an award given to the best male Swedish player in Europe – Gyokeres said: "I don’t play in the Premier League like others do.

"But I have done the best I can where I am. I also showed it in Europe, in the Champions League and with the national team, so it was not just in Portugal."

On his future, Gyokeres added: "We will see. There are many rumours circulating, but we are in the middle of the season and there are still many months left. We will see when the time comes what will happen."

When asked where he sees himself playing in four years time, at 30, he replied: "Playing for one of the best teams in Europe. That is the objective."

Speaking to Swedish publication Sport Bladet after the summer transfer window slammed shut in September 2024, Gyokeres suggested that Sporting asked clubs for 'too much'. He said: "They (Sporting) wanted most of the starting players to stay and held us tight.

"That's how it turned out, but I enjoy Sporting very much, so for me it was no problem to stay. Of course, you want to play at the highest level. It [his release clause] was probably a bit too much, because nothing came of it.

"Of course, it's a lot of money, but we'll see what happens next window. Nothing happened and it feels like I had a pretty good season. So yes, that's probably why there was simply no move.

"But that's what Sporting thinks I'm worth, and you have to respect that. I enjoy myself very much in Sporting and can't complain about anything, so it's absolutely no problem for me to stay. Of course, you aim to test other leagues and a higher level, but I have no stress."

Join the football.london Arsenal WhatsApp channel

Arsenal Manager Mikel Arteta, Bukayo Saka, Martin Odegaard and Gabriel Jesus with the Arsenal Therapy Dog Win during the Arsenal Men's team group shoot at London Colney on September 18, 2023

Join our Arsenal WhatsApp channel and get all the latest breaking news, opinion, podcasts and in-depth stories from football.london's dedicated Arsenal writers straight to your phone!

By following this free service you will be the first to know the news from the Emirates Stadium as it happens, when it happens.

To join our dedicated Arsenal channel, all you have to do is click this link and you can join thousands of others following our Gunners coverage!

If you're curious, you can check out our privacy policy here.

Read full news in source page