Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Fabian Hurzeler reacts to FA Cup quarter-final exit on penalties to Nottingham Forest
Brighton boss Fabian Hurzeler insists his team should have performed at higher level to avoid their heart breaking FA Cup penalty shoot-out defeat to Nottingham Forest.
Matz Sels was Forest’s penalty hero yet again as they reached the FA Cup semi-finals for the first time in 34 years.
The Belgian goalkeeper saved spot-kicks from Jack Hinshelwood and Diego Gomez as Forest beat Brighton 4-3 on penalties after a goalless draw at the Amex Stadium.
Fabian Hurzeler said Brighton & Hove Albion were not at their highest levelFabian Hurzeler said Brighton & Hove Albion were not at their highest level
Fabian Hurzeler said Brighton & Hove Albion were not at their highest level
For the latest Albion news follow Brighton and Hove Albion FC - SussexWorld Facebook page
Brighton battled well but were far from their fluent best. Kaoru Mitoma looked out-of-sorts after a long-haul international break with Japan and Joao Pedro and Diego Gomez were fit enough for the bench after their exploits with Brazil and Paraguay respectively.
The Seagulls did create chances as Yasin Ayari took aim from the edge of the box and his drive looked destined for the bottom corner until Murillo stuck out a heel and deflected it wide.
Pervis Estupinan hit a swerving 25-yard effort which dipped in front of Sels, forcing the Forest keeper into an unorthodox save and Carlos Baleba arrowed a shot just wide from the edge of the box.
After the break, Brighton’s Georginio Rutter fired narrowly over after a sharp turn in the box and Hinshelwood headed another wide, while Bart Verbruggen tipped a Morgan Gibbs-White piledriver over.
Extra time came and went with a header from Gomez expertly pushed over by Sels the closest anyone came to forcing a winner.
Hurzeler: Not intense enough
“We were not on our highest level,” said a visible frustrated Hurzeler in the post match press conference. “We weren't resilient enough, we weren't intense enough and therefore we weren't able to play our best game, especially in possession. We have to improve it the next time if we want to win the game.
"In traditional time, we had some big chances and we weren't able to score and then you have to go into the penalty shoot-out.
"I take responsibility for that,” added the German when asked about the shootout loss. “So I made the decision and I wanted the players to focus on their job, focus on which corner they want to go.
"They didn't shot that bad. Also, the penalty we missed, they had an idea, and that was the thing I said to them. In the end, they had a great goalkeeper and therefore we weren't able to win this game.”
Brighton are seventh in the Premier League with nine top flight fixtures remaining and still have a great chance of securing European qualification.
Hurzeler’s men are next in action against Aston Villa at the Amex Stadium on Wednesday. The Head coach now has the task of lifting his players for another tricky home fixture.
“It's very important that we keep the head up, that we try to make a good recovery,” Hurzeler said. “We focus on the next challenge and we proved it this season so far that we are able to come back.
"That we can stick together as a team and we have to prove it another time now.”
Your next Albion read: FA Cup heartbreak, drained, gutted' – Derren Howard's Brighton player ratings against Nottingham Forest