SUBANG – Malaysia deployed a rescue team of 50 personnel to quake-stricken Myanmar on March 30, as the death toll from the disaster surpassed 1,600.
The Special Malaysia Disaster Assistance and Rescue Team (SMART), consisting of military, police, and fire and rescue personnel, loaded two trucks, a Hilux four-wheel drive, search and rescue equipment, and medical supplies into two military aircraft before departing from the Subang air base.
As the 2025 chair of regional grouping Asean, Malaysia is deeply sympathetic to Myanmar’s situation, said Deputy Prime Minister Zahid Hamidi. The immediate deployment of the rescue team reflects Asean’s spirit of humanitarian aid and solidarity, he said.
“We hope our team can reach ground zero and remain there for seven to 14 days, depending on the situation. We aim to provide aid that will expedite the search and rescue efforts,” he told the media after flagging off the mission. Myanmar’s Ambassador to Malaysia, Mr U Aung Soe Win, was also present.
This comes after fellow Asean member Singapore sent an 80-strong team from the Singapore Civil Defence Force to Myanmar on March 29 to assist in rescue efforts.
On March 29, Asean foreign ministers stated that member states are prepared to provide support for relief and recovery through the regional emergency response mechanism.
“Asean reaffirms its solidarity and will work closely to coordinate humanitarian assistance, support and facilitate relief operations, and ensure a timely and effective humanitarian response, with the assistance of the Asean Coordinating Centre for Humanitarian Assistance on Disaster Management,” the joint statement read.
“The coordination of Asean disaster relief will be spearheaded by Malaysia’s Foreign Ministry,” said Datuk Seri Zahid, who is also the chairman of Malaysia’s National Disaster Management Authority.
On March 28, a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck central Myanmar, near its second-largest city of Mandalay, resulting in 1,644 deaths and 3,408 injuries so far. The disaster struck at the worst possible time for the country, which is already grappling with a civil war and over 3.5 million internally displaced persons, according to the United Nations.
Myanmar junta chief Senior General Min Aung Hlaing issued a rare call for international assistance before visiting hard-hit Mandalay to assess the situation.
In neighbouring Thailand, the earthquake has claimed at least 17 lives, with dozens more trapped or reported missing after a skyscraper under construction in the capital, Bangkok, collapsed.
Participating in her first overseas mission, SMART member Avlyanie Moidi told journalists she is ready to serve by assisting Myanmar’s earthquake victims.
“Despite my heavy heart leaving my two-year-old child behind, I must do my job. I can’t refuse the call of duty,” the 28-year-old firefighter told the media.
The United Nations said on March 29 that emergency response efforts in Myanmar were being hindered by a lack of medical supplies, along with damaged roads and communications infrastructure.
Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.
Thanks for sharing!