Pakistan kills own civilians during military operation, admits 'unintended consequences'
Pakistan said it killed 10 civilians during an anti-militant operation in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Saturday.
The operation, in Katlang, a remote hilltop area in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, was aimed at militant hideouts and resulted in the deaths of 12 suspected terrorists. However, it also led to the deaths of 10 civilians, including women and children, sparking outrage.
Government spokesman Muhammad Ali Saif confirmed the casualties and said that the location was being used as a hideout and transit point for terrorists. He admitted that unarmed civilians were present at the site.
"The safety of civilians is always a top priority during such operations. However, due to complex geography, terrorists using civilian populations as cover, and the urgent nature of the operation, unintended consequences can sometimes occur," said Saif, as quoted by the Associated Press.
The provincial government has now promised an inquiry into how the operation led to civilian deaths.
Local residents reported that the victims were nomads from the Swat region who had been living in the Shamozai mountains with their livestock. Their families protested by placing their bodies on the Swat Highway, demanding justice.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister Ali Amin Gandapur called the incident “highly condemnable and tragic.” He assured that every effort is made to avoid civilian casualties but acknowledged the challenges of military operations in complex terrains where militants embed themselves among civilians.
The government said medical aid is being provided to the injured, and compensation for the victims' families is being arranged. A provincial press note said the operation had "neutralised several high-value militant targets" but admitted that the “fog of war” sometimes leads to unintended consequences.