The Wolves forward has made it clear he's ready for a transfer in the summer
Comments
Sport
Brazil's forward #21 Matheus Cunha gestures during the 2026 FIFA World Cup South American qualifiers football match between Brazil and Colombia, at the Mane Garrincha stadium in Brasilia, on March 20, 2025. (Photo by EVARISTO SA / AFP) (Photo by EVARISTO SA/AFP via Getty Images)
Matheus Cunha has been linked with a number of top clubs ahead of this summer, including Liverpool. The Wolverhampton Wanderers forward has now spoken candidly about his future in an interview.
The talented but temperamental Brazilian has had another fascinating year at Molineux. Cunha has been crucial to Wolves keeping their heads above water in the relegation battle this season with 13 goals and four assists in the Premier League.
The 25-year-old does have a hot streak in his play though and has had numerous run-ins with officials this season. He was sent off against AFC Bournemouth in the FA Cup and earlier in the campaign was banned for two games and fined £80,000 after a post-match altercation with a member of Ipswich Town's security staff.
READ MORE: Premier League title race takes fresh twist as Liverpool handed potential Arsenal advantageREAD MORE: Liverpool youngster involved in crowd altercation after fresh injury setback
Such is his talent though, it would be no surprise if the forward was snapped up when the market opened. The man himself has told the Guardian that he thinks he's ready for the next level.
"I had a lot of offers but I wouldn’t feel well if I had done it," said the Brazil international. "Some things you can't control but I couldn't leave the club in the middle of the season, in a difficult situation, in the relegation zone.
"Now, we're close to achieving our goal [of staying up]. But I've made it clear that I need to take the next step. I want to fight for titles, for big things. I have potential."
In addition to the Reds, Premier League rivals Arsenal have been named as potential suitors for the forward.
Liverpool are expected to be active in the market this summer, with their attacking options set to come into focus. Mohamed Salah's contract is up at the end of the campaign, while Darwin Nunez and Luis Diaz have both been linked with possible departures.