Bodies of eight Red Crescent medics recovered in Gaza, one still missing
We’re sorry, this feature is currently unavailable. We’re working to restore it. Please try again later.
Dismiss
Skip to sections navigationSkip to contentSkip to footerMarch 31, 2025 — 5.21pm
The bodies of eight Palestine Red Crescent (PRCS) medics who came under fire in Gaza just over a week ago had been recovered, though a ninth worker was still unaccounted for, the Red Cross said.
In a statement late on Sunday, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said it was “appalled” at the deaths.
“Their bodies were identified today and have been recovered for dignified burial. These staff and volunteers were risking their own lives to provide support to others,” the ICRC said.
A Red Crescent ambulance drives through Khan Younis in southern Gaza last year.
A Red Crescent ambulance drives through Khan Younis in southern Gaza last year.Credit: Bloomberg
The PRCS said it also recovered the bodies of six civil defence members and one United Nations employee from the same area. It said Israeli forces had targeted the workers. Red Cross statements did not apportion blame for the attacks.
The Israeli military did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said one worker from the nine-strong PRCS group was still unaccounted for. The group went missing on March 23.
The incident was the single most deadly attack on Red Cross Red Crescent workers anywhere since 2017, the IFRC said.
“I am heartbroken. These dedicated ambulance workers were responding to wounded people. They were humanitarians,” IFRC secretary-general Jagan Chapagain said.
“They wore emblems that should have protected them; their ambulances were clearly marked,” he added.
According to the United Nations, at least 1060 healthcare workers have been killed in the 18 months since Israel launched its offensive in Gaza after Hamas fighters stormed southern Israel on October 7, 2023.
The global body is reducing its international staff in Gaza by a third due to staff safety concerns.
Reuters
Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world.Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.