standard.co.uk

Bukayo Saka injury latest: Mikel Arteta confirms huge Arsenal boost as Real Madrid tie looms

In contention: Bukayo Saka will be in the Arsenal squad against Fulham

Arsenal FC via Getty Images

just now

Arsenal Football Newsletter

Arsenal Football Newsletter

Your matchday briefing on Arsenal, featuring team news and expert analysis from Simon Collings

I would like to be emailed about offers, event and updates from Evening Standard. Read our privacy notice.

Mikel Arteta has confirmed that Bukayo Saka is available to face Fulham, declaring the Arsenal star is “ready to go”.

Saka has been out since suffering a hamstring injury in December which needed surgery.

But his recovery has gone according to plan and the 23-year-old is now back in full training, and his imminent return is a major boost for the Gunners ahead of their Champions League showdown with Real Madrid.

Mikel Arteta’s side face Fulham at Emirates Stadium on Tuesday before playing Everton at Goodison Park in the lunchtime kick-off on Saturday.

Arsenal host Real Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final tie on April 8. They play Brentford at home on April 12 before the return leg against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu on April 16.

Speaking ahead of Fulham game, Arteta said: “Bukayo is ready to go.

"All the careful things are already done. Now it’s about putting him on the grass in the right moments. But he’s pushing because he really wants it.

“We have respected the timeframe, we have done everything and we’ve had to hold him back even. He’s ready to go.”

Bukayo Saka could start against Fulham on Tuesday night

Arsenal FC via Getty Images

On whether Saka could start against Fulham, the Arsenal boss added: "Yeah, yeah.

“It’s another massive weapon that we have with him. We know the impact that he’s had on the team and how important his role and his contribution is to our success. It’s great to have him back obviously.”

Read More

Silva sends Fulham clear warning as he admits Arsenal have 'advantage'

Silva sends Fulham clear warning as he admits Arsenal have 'advantage'

Arsenal 'turn to Isak alternative' admired by Berta as valuation drops

Arsenal 'turn to Isak alternative' admired by Berta as valuation drops

Arsenal and Spurs confirm pre-season clash as history made

Arsenal and Spurs confirm pre-season clash as history made

Sponsored

Meal2Deal: on a mission to make food poverty history

Meal2Deal: on a mission to make food poverty history

Saka had been in superb form before his injury, with nine goals and 13 assists in all competitions.

In his absence Arsenal’s Premier League title bid faltered, but Arteta is confident the 23-year-old can hit the ground running, even after so long on the sidelines.

"It’s the energy he transmits,” Arteta said.

“He loves to train and to play and to compete at the highest level. He comes back at the most important time of the season.

"He hasn’t played for the last three months but three out of 48 [months] is a very small percentage. The habit is certainly there.

It is less positive news for Riccardo Calafiori, who picked up a knee injury while on international duty with Italy.

The defender has had an injury-hit campaign and that is set to continue, as he faces another spell on the sidelines.

"Riccardo unfortunately picked up a knee injury with the national team,” Arteta said.

“Really unfortunate the way it happened. It could have been much worse. Hopefully it’s going to be a matter of weeks but we have to see how that injury evolves.”

MORE ABOUT

Bukayo Saka

Fulham

Mikel Arteta

Have your say...

VIEW COMMENTS

Read full news in source page