Brazil star Lucas Paqueta's hearing for alleged spot-fixing started two weeks ago
The 27-year-old denies all charges but could face a life ban if he is found guilty
LISTEN NOW: It's All Kicking Off! Why it makes more sense for Manchester United to sell Marcus Rashford
By KIERAN GILL and JAMES SHARPE
Published: 17:30 EDT, 31 March 2025 | Updated: 17:30 EDT, 31 March 2025
West Ham are leaving it to Lucas Paqueta to decide if he feels up to playing against Wolves on Tuesday night in what would be a first appearance since his FA spot-fixing trial began.
The Hammers are placing no pressure on the Brazilian with the threat of a life ban hanging over the 27-year-old if he is found guilty.
As of Monday, the player was said to be in the right frame of mind to participate despite a panel continuing to evaluate the evidence surrounding whether he intentionally picked up four separate yellow cards for the purpose of influencing betting outcomes.
However, sources close to the case say the turmoil has been extremely taxing for the West Ham playmaker and that he is desperate for aconclusion by the end of this week.
Paqueta’s hearing started on Monday, March 17 and it is now entering its third week. He denies all the charges.
One source hoping for a positive outcome for Paqueta told Mail Sport there had been ‘good days and bad days’. The insider added even if the hearing concludes this week, they do not know how soon they will learn the verdict, meaning they fear being in limbo waiting for the career-defining news.
West Ham star Lucas Paqueta has been left in limbo as he awaits the verdict of his hearing
Hammers boss Graham Potter has praised Paqueta for his comportment while under a cloud
Paqueta will be free to decide whether he feels he is up to facing Wolves on Tuesday night
West Ham manager Graham Potter praised Paqueta at his pre-match press conference for not letting his head drop in training despite his career being on the line, and said that he hopes the midfielder will be ready to face Wolves at Molineux.
‘He has trained well and is acting absolutely normally,’ said Potter. ‘He has just got to deal with what he’s got to deal with but, from our perspective, he is available and we are looking forward to him playing.
‘I have no expectations on (when his trial will finish). I have enough to worry about with my own job here to second-guess those types of things.’
Mail Sport previously reported that Paqueta was ready to front up and fight for his career at his trial, having not flown away on international duty with Brazil for their World Cup qualifiers against Colombia and Argentina.
His international team-mates lost that last match 4-1 without Paqueta and the country’s head coach Dorival Junior was sacked following the humiliation.
Mail Sport also revealed how Everton manager David Moyes, previously of West Ham, had agreed to provide a witness statement for Paqueta corroborating a significant section of his defence.
Sources said that related to the player’s claim he had asked Moyes not to use him when he received one of his controversial cautions in a 1-1 draw at Bournemouth in August 2023, as Manchester City were courting him in a move potentially worth £80million. It is further alleged that upon agreeing to start as per Moyes’ request, Paqueta expected he would be substituted once he had helped the team into a winning position.
West Ham led 1-0 through Jarrod Bowen after 51 minutes but he remained on the pitch as Bournemouth equalised through Dominic Solanke in the 82nd minute. It was deep into stoppage time that Paqueta was shown his yellow card for a handball, representing his fourth offence of the match.
Former West Ham boss David Moyes had agreed to provide a witness statement for Paqueta
Lucas Paqueta did not travel to South America for Brazil's March World Cup qualifiers
That Bournemouth trip was West Ham’s first competitive fixture after beating Fiorentina in the Conference League final, when Paqueta set up Bowen’s winner to end a 43-year wait for a major trophy.
Following that trip to the Vitality Stadium, Mail Sport revealed the FA were investigating Paqueta amid suspicious betting patterns around his bookings.
In May of last year, the FA formally charged Paqueta with four breaches relating to cautions he received in games against Leicester, Aston Villa, Leeds and Bournemouth. The hearing continues.
West Ham United