londonworld.com

Brentford triple injury boost for Newcastle United and Chelsea including 'forgotten' £10m man

Thomas Frank could have three first team stars available again.Thomas Frank could have three first team stars available again.

Thomas Frank could have three first team stars available again. | Getty Images

Three long term Brentford absentees saw minutes with the youth team over the international break ahead of the Premier League’s return.

Brentford could welcome back first team stars Rico Henry, Aaron Hickey and Gustavo Nunes against Newcastle United and Chelsea this week after the injury-plagued players all enjoyed minutes with the Bees’ under-21 side on Monday.

The Brentford under-21 team beat Fleetwood Town 2-0 at Wheatsheaf Park. Hickey and Nunes featured for 45 minutes with Henry managing 70 minutes.

Hickey had been due to return to full training in February having been sidelined for almost 16 months with a serious hamstring injury suffered in October 2023. It had been feared that the Scotland international could miss the entire of this season having had to undergo two surgeries on the issue.

Brentford get triple injury boost ahead of Newcastle United

Speaking to the club in January, Hickey said: “I’m back on the pitch running, so I’m not far away. I’m just building up fitness and, hopefully, in the next few weeks, I’ll be back training with the team.

“It’s been a very long time - it’s been difficult and disappointing for me. But these things happen and, now, I just have to make sure I’m mentally strong and ready to come back into the team again.

“It’s been hard. I had my first surgery, which didn’t go well, so that was a major disappointment for me. I had another surgery, worked my way back, I was back running, and then I felt something again. I feel like I’ve been very unlucky, to be honest. But now I’m feeling good and I’m fully focused on being back and training with the team.

“I go and support the boys nearly every week and it’s great that they’re doing well - we’ve got a great blend of players here and it’s all starting to come together.”

Thomas Frank sees £10m man move closer to debut

Brentford fans will also be excited by news of progress from Nunes. The west London club paid £10 million to sign the 18-year-old from Brazilian side Gremio last summer but the winger has become somewhat of a forgotten signing haven’t not made his debut due to a stress fracture in his lower back.

Speaking about the player as he arrived at the Gtech Community Stadium last year, Frank said: “I am very excited that we have managed to sign Gustavo. It is another good signing; we have fought with other clubs. He is a winger who can go past players one-on-one. He is direct and he can create.

“Gustavo has a lot of potential and of course we need to maximise that in every aspect. He needs time to settle, but this is a very exciting signing.”

Finally, Rico Henry has managed just one Premier League appearance this season, coming in a three-minute cameo against Manchester City in January. He has endured lengthy lay-offs with a hamstring and a knee injury either side of that.

The defender also missed the majority of last season due to a knee injury. Speaking in August, Frank said: “I’ve been here close to eight years, and he is the only player who has been here the whole time, so it’s quite emotional to see him coming back. I’m very pleased.”

In other news, Brentford and Newcastle United fans won't be happy with this Premier League announcement.

Read full news in source page