manchestercity.news

'Don't understand a thing about football': Bernardo Silva fuming after what he's been asked…

Bernardo Silva’s passion is always commended. But he maybe let it spill over a bit in his latest Man City interview.

Manchester City beat Bournemouth 2-1 in the FA Cup on Sunday, coming from behind to leave Pep Guardiola delighted, and to book themselves a semi-final tie against Nottingham Forest later in April.

Erling Haaland came off injured for Man City but it was the Norwegian who got the comeback underway, with Omar Marmoush then netting his fifth goal in a City shirt to seal the win and take some strain off what’s been a rocky few month for the club.

There’s a lot of talk about the age of the squad with Man City boasting the fifth highest average squad age in the Premier League (26.7 years). There’s also a growing assumption that Pep will oversee a rather brutal squad overhaul in the summer.

He’s expected to oust names like Kevin De Bruyne who faces an uncertain future, with Ilkay Gundogan also tipped to leave Man City after what’s been an underwhelming season upon his return to the Etihad last summer.

Photo by Catherine Ivill - AMA/Getty Images

Photo by Catherine Ivill – AMA/Getty Images

Bernardo Silva lashes out at question on Man City’s squad age

For a while now, there’s been the rumbling debate about whether or not Man City’s squad is too old; among those is Gary Lineker who says Man City’s legs have gone this season. And he has a point too with City having thoroughly fallen behind in the race for the Premier League, as their previously top stars like De Bruyne simply look a shadow of their former selves.

More Man City News

Bernardo Silva is another. Man City fans have criticised Silva’s performances, but the 30-year-old thinks that the debate about City being too old is ridiculous. Speaking to Mirror, Silva said: “Tell me, which player? Give me names. That’s people that don’t understand the game.

“I’m 30, [Mateo] Kovacic is 30. You’re not talking about guys that are 36. We have six or four bad months and out of nowhere we’re old, not good enough. In the last eight seasons we’ve won six Premier Leagues and for four bad months we’re old? I’m asking you. You asked me the question so I answered.

“That’s people that don’t understand the game, never played the game and probably don’t understand a thing about football.”

Photo by Image Photo Agency/Getty Images

Photo by Image Photo Agency/Getty Images

Bernardo Silva makes stance clear on his Man City future

Silva is among those out of contract in 2026. Joining from Monaco in 2017, the 100-cap Portugal star has since made a staggering 395 total appearances for Man City with 69 goals and 69 assists along the way, having proved to be a huge fan favourite at the Etihad.

But like with a few others in the side, fans think it’s time to move on. However, Silva wants to stay at Man City until the end of his contract at least, though his latest comments may leave a sour taste when he does eventually leave as he’s simply not been at his best this season.

It’s all down to Pep in the end, though. If City want to move Silva on they may have to set a very low asking price as few clubs will take him on his current wages.

But moving him on would certainly free up a lot of space in the budget and allow for maybe two more younger players to come in and help rebuild this ailing Man City side.

Read full news in source page