forbes.com

Why Juventus Star Kenan Yildiz Is Tranfer Target For Manchester United

Juventus have had a season to forget but, as the summer transfer window approaches, Kenan Yildiz is expected to be targeted by Premier League clubs including Manchester United.

The Bianconeri changed managers last week, replacing Thiago Motta with Igor Tudor after a string of disappointing results. The new boss got off to a great start with a win over Genoa – analysed in this previous column – as Yildiz once again wrote the headlines by grabbing the only goal of the game.

“Yildiz was decisive” a delighted Tudor told DAZN shortly after the final whistle, his use of the Turkey international making a notable departure from how he was deployed under Thiago Motta.

Kenan Yildiz’s struggles at Juventus

Despite Kenan Yildiz signing a new contract in the summer and taking the coveted no.10 shirt, he had become increasingly marginalised by Motta. Struggling to make an impact after being pushed into a role on the wing, that strike against Genoa ended a goal drought that began in early January.

It seems that tension between player and Coach had intensified in recent weeks, with Yildiz playing just 13 minutes as Juve were eliminated from the UEFA Champions League by PSV Eindhoven.

MORE FOR YOU

NYT Mini Today: Hints, Clues And Answers For Tuesday, April 1

South Korean Actor Kim Soo-hyun Denies Underage Dating Allegations

Women’s Final Four In Tampa Set, AT&T Brings The Energy

He was then taken off at half time of the 4-0 loss to Atalanta before being left out altogether for Motta’s final game in charge, the Bianconeri losing 0-3 at Fiorentina before the international break.

Then came a report from Sandro Sabatini which underlined just how sour things had become. Speaking on the Calcio Selvaggio podcast, the Italian journalist claimed that “on a couple of occasions during training, Motta told him: ‘Who do you think you are? You’re not [Lionel] Messi.'”

Manchester United monitoring Juventus situation

The tense situation sparked hope that Juventus could be tempted to sell Yildiz, and there would certainly be no shortage of interest. According to the Corriere dello Sport, Aston Villa, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea and Manchester United were all turned away by the Bianconeri before the contract extension was agreed last summer.

Now, La Gazzetta dello Sport expects the latter pair to renew their efforts at the end of the 2024/25 campaign, Italy’s pink paper believing that Juve will be looking for a fee in excess of €80 million ($86.56 million) should they choose to cash in.

Watching the 19-year-old glide past defenders, it is easy to see why he is so highly coveted. Even with his team struggling this term under a Coach who didn’t trust him, Yildiz has still weighed in with seven goals and three assists, including some truly vital strikes.

As well as getting the Igor Tudor era off to a winning start, the Bayern Munich youth product has scored twice against Inter and once against Milan while also creating Dusan Vlahovic’s opener in the win over Manchester City.

Yildiz showcases a wide range of gifts, possessing an excellent first touch and a wonderful range of passing, but it is undoubtedly his ability to drive forward with the ball that separates him from his peers.

Standing 6’ 1” (1.85m) tall, he is strong enough to hold off defenders and skillful enough to get past them, fbRef.com statistics showing that Yildiz is averaging 3.94 progressive carries and 2.32 successful take-ons per 90 minutes.

His total of 49 successful take-ons is the fourth-highest tally in Serie A this term, and now he has a Coach who believes in him, it would be no surprise to see Yildiz shine even more brightly over the next few months.

If the Turin giants decided to sell him, there would be no shortage of interest but Juventus supporters will hope that Kenan Yildiz remains at the center of their project no matter who the manager is.

Read full news in source page