thenorthernecho.co.uk

Newcastle star set to sign new contact 'imminently' - plus Gordon & Botman latest

Schar’s current deal is due to expire this summer, but the Swiss centre-half has been one of the Magpies’ key performers this season and Howe is desperate to retain him at St James’ Park.

Contract talks have been ongoing for the last few months, with Schar having indicated a strong desire to sign a new deal with [Newcastle](https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastleunited/) despite suggestions of external interest from elsewhere.

And with the 33-year-old set to partner Dan Burn at the heart of the back four for tomorrow’s home game with Brentford, Howe is confident a positive contract announcement is just around the corner.

**RECOMMENDED READING:**

“I think Fabby will hopefully be signing his contract imminently, if he hasn’t already, to my knowledge,” said the Newcastle boss, who has spent the last couple of days refocusing minds ahead of the final ten games of the Premier League season.

Schar’s importance has been accentuated by the absence of Sven Botman, who was forced to undergo a second bout of knee surgery last month.

Botman’s latest operation was nowhere near as serious as his first, which repaired significant cruciate-ligament damage, and while the Dutchman will not be available to face Brentford, Howe remains confident he will be able to return before the end of the season.

“Sven’s not too bad,” said the Magpies boss. “He’s had an operation, but it was just a very minor operation to clear up a bit of floating bone that was in his knee and causing him the problem.

“I think the initial diagnosis was between six to eight weeks, but I think he’s already got through two or three of those. He’s on the road, and he’s feeling good. Fingers crossed, we’ll probably see him in May sometime.”

Anthony Gordon is another player who will be missing for the Brentford game as he serves the final game of the three-match ban that was imposed in the wake of his sending off in the FA Cup defeat to Brighton.

Even if he was not suspended, Gordon would probably not have featured in tomorrow’s game anyway as he is still struggling with the leg problem he sustained as a late substitute in England’s World Cup qualifying win over Albania.

Gordon suffered severe bruising to his leg, which forced him out of England’s second Wembley win over Latvia, but the problem is gradually improving and he has a chance of completing his recovery in time to return in next Monday’s game at Leicester City.

“Anthony has a really nasty bruise in and around his thigh-stroke-groin area,” said Howe. “He’s up and running and feeling quite good, but he hasn’t trained with the group yet. We anticipate he’ll hopefully do that in the next few days.”

Read full news in source page