Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Newcastle United have no intention of selling Alexander Isak this summer amid interest from Liverpool.
Liverpool are “highly unlikely” to fork out £150million to sign Newcastle United star Alexander Isak this summer. That’s according to James Pearce, who has covered the Reds for the last 14 years, first for the Liverpool Echo and now The Athletic.
Boasting an impressive record of 58 goals in 100 appearances for Newcastle since arriving from Real Sociedad for a club-record £63m in August 2022, Isak is highly regarded as one of the best strikers in Europe.
However, one consequence of that is constant speculation surrounding his future. Since scoring the winner against them in the Carabao Cup final last month, Liverpool have been heavily linked with the Swede.
And while Arne Slot’s side are admirers of the Swede, the prospect of him ending up at Anfield this summer has been played down.
When asked if a move for Isak was ‘feasible’, Pearce wrote in The Athletic:“It depends on the numbers involved. The club’s senior recruitment figures certainly admire Isak but it’s highly unlikely that Liverpool would agree to pay £150m for him.
Click here to join NewcastleWorld's dedicated NUFC WhatsApp channel for news, videos and voice notes. CLICK THE BELL FOR NOTIFICATIONS.
“Liverpool recently announced a £57m pre-tax loss for 2023-24 and although their financial situation is now much healthier following their return to the Champions League, they are expected to spread their resources around this summer rather than focus on one marquee signing.
“Trent Alexander-Arnold is expected to join Real Madrid and they are still awaiting clarity over the futures of Virgil van Dijk and Mohamed Salah, who are nearing the end of their current contracts. With reinforcements needed in other departments, Liverpool aren’t just targeting an elite No 9.”
Newcastle United’s Alexander Isak stance is clear
Although £150m is the figure often used in print, Newcastle could quite possibly value Isak above that. Certainly, there is no intention to lose the 25-year-old, as communicated by CEO Darren Eales at the beginning of March.
Eales told reporters: “We’re going to be clear – he has multi-years left. We will have the discussions in terms of a new deal, just like we did with Joelinton, Bruno (Guimaraes) or Anthony Gordon. That’s something that we will approach in the summer.
“The reality is that all of our players are under long-term deals. They’re committed to the club. So, from that perspective, we’re not looking to move any player on. We have no intention at all of those players being moved on.”
Alexander Isak is happy at Newcastle United
The possibility of Isak agitating a move away from St James’ Park is slim, with the player going on record to reveal he is very happy at the club.
And his actions match his words. During the club’s Carabao Cup parade around the city of Newcastle on Saturday, Isak was one of the life and soul of the party, starting chants and even showing off his Geordie dialect!
“I think it means the world to all of us but it probably means more to see how much it means to the people and we're so happy to be able to give the city and the fans a trophy like this,” Isak said on stage.
YOUR NEXT READ:Bruno Guimaraes tells Newcastle United teammate to 'get out' after unusual social media post.