A number of players are out of contract at Everton this summer – with Idrissa Gana Gueye being one.
Everton’s squad will be looking very different for 2025/26, as the club begins a new era at Bramley-Moore Dock.
It will be a very busy first summer window for The Friedkin Group, and incoming CEO Angus Kinnear and the new director of football, whoever that may be.
But fans will be optimistic that the club can be productive and make some smart decisions.
And one decision a lot of fans think would be a very smart one, is handing Idrissa Gana Gueye a new contract.
Gueye has been fantastic again this season for Everton, and currently leads the way in the Premier League for tackles made.
Today at his press conference, David Moyes was asked about potentially taking the veteran midfielder to the new stadium.
David Moyes shares when Idrissa Gana Gueye could sign a new Everton contract
Photo by Chris Brunskill/Fantasista/Getty Images
Photo by Chris Brunskill/Fantasista/Getty Images
Gueye has been heavily involved once again for Everton this season, making 31 appearances so far and playing nearly 2500 minutes.
MORE EVERTON STORIES
Even when Everton were struggling under Sean Dyche, Gueye was playing well.
And that good form has continued since Moyes came in in January.
Today, the Scot was asked for his verdict on Gueye and also about the potential for him to sign a new deal.
Moyes hailed Gueye, but stated that any new contract would be sorted once Everton are mathematically safe from relegation.
He said: “What I do know about him is, I’ve only been here a couple of months to work with him and I think he’s been terrific in the games.
“He plays younger than what he is at times, in many ways. He’s someone who’s played well for us, he really has. I understand how well he’s done.
“We just need to keep going. We won’t be making any decisions on contracts until we’re mathematically safe so, we’ll have a look at all that when he get to that point.”
Gueye must get a new Everton contract
At this point it would be so negligent of Everton to not keep hold of Gueye.
It has been clear to see how good a player he still is, and Moyes is right when he says he plays younger than his 35 years.
Idrissa Gueye is the only player to make 100+ tackles in the Premier League this season.
12 of them came in his two appearances in March. 💪 pic.twitter.com/6lB8D6Zgz4
— Squawka (@Squawka) March 31, 2025
View Tweet
He has shown now signs of slowing down, and there is surely little risk in handing him a one-year extension.
The good news is that Everton News was recently told that Everton do intend to give Gueye a new contract, so hopefully we’ll be seeing some movement soon.
Gueye himself has also said that he would love to stay at the club, describing Everton as ‘special’.
Perhaps he might not be a regular again next season. But to at least have a player of his experience would be a big plus for the dressing room.