dailycannon.com

Nottingham Forest push to overtake Arsenal in race for striker

Arsenal appear to be fading in the race for Matheus Cunha, with Nottingham Forest pushing harder to sign the Wolves man as it stands.

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE, ENGLAND: Matheus Cunha of Wolverhampton Wanderers looks on as the team warms up prior to the Premier League match between Newcastle United FC and Wolverhampton Wanderers FC at St James' Park on January 15, 2025. (Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images)

Photo by Naomi Baker/Getty Images

Wolves forward Matheus Cunha put interested clubs on alert last week when he told the media that he wants to take the “next step” in his career.

“I’ve made it clear that I need to take the next step,” Cunha said. “I want to fight for titles, for big things. I have potential.”

But though Arsenal have been linked with the forward in the past, Fabrizio Romano suggests that another Premier League club are more likely to capitalise on Cunha’s availability.

LONDON, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 29: Matheus Cunha of Wolverhampton Wanderers looks on as he warms up prior to the Premier League match between Tottenham Hotspur FC and Wolverhampton Wanderers FC at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on December 29, 2024 in London, England. (Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images)

Photo by Alex Pantling/Getty Images

Speaking on his YouTube channel, Romano confirmed that Cunha is expected to leave Wolves this summer, with a £62.5m release clause in his new contract.

The journalist added that Cunha is the “dream target” for Nottingham Forest, though whether they finish the season in the European qualification places could be key.

Forest are reportedly just one of the top clubs in the race for Cunha, but it seems increasingly unlikely that Arsenal will make a move this summer.

WOLVERHAMPTON, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 26: Matheus Cunha of Wolverhampton Wanderers celebrates scoring his team's first goal during the Premier League match between Wolverhampton Wanderers FC and Manchester United FC at Molineux on December 26, 2024 in Wolverhampton, England. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images

The Gunners are certainly in the market for a striker, but other names are much more prominent at the moment.

Alexander Isak is Mikel Arteta’s top target, but if he’s unavailable (as he appears to be), the Gunners are also interested in Viktor Gyokeres or Benjamin Sesko.

It’s hard to see Arsenal signing more than one striker this summer, simply because there are so many areas to address. There are concrete links to goalkeeper Joan Garcia, midfielder Martin Zubimendi, young talent Sverre Nypan, and a number of top wingers.

Realistically, Arsenal aren’t going to be able to make all of those signings and also spend well over £100m signing two strikers.

Until something changes, it looks like interest in Cunha is going on the backburner.

Related Posts

Read full news in source page