Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Newcastle United will look to sign a centre-back this summer, despite agreeing a new contract with one of their existing players.
Fabian Schar has agreed a new contract at Newcastle United.
Schar’s current deal is due to expire this summer but talks between the defender’s representatives and the club have been ongoing for a while. And just over a fortnight after Schar helped Newcastle win the Carabao Cup with a 2-1 win over Liverpool at Wembley, Eddie Howe has revealed an agreement is in place.
The 33-year-old is set partner Dan Burn in defence for tonight’s Premier League clash against Brentford. Speaking ahead of the game, Howe said: “I think Fabi, hopefully, will be signing his contract imminently, if he hasn't already, to my knowledge.”
Fabian Schar = Newcastle United bargain
Next season will be Schar’s eighth at St James’ Park. After joining for just £3million from Deportivo La Coruna in 2018, he is regarded as one of United’s best bargains in the Premier League era.
The former Switzerland international has gone on to make 220 appearances, over half of which have come since Howe was appointed as head coach in November 2021.
“It’s got to be up there looking at the history of transfers,” Howe said in December. “Fabian has those midfield qualities at centre-back, he’s got a creative eye. He’s been so important for us in our build-up phases.”
Click here to join NewcastleWorld's dedicated NUFC WhatsApp channel for news, videos and voice notes. CLICK THE BELL FOR NOTIFICATIONS.
He added: “I think his technical ability goes without saying, but he's very, very good off the ball. Again, he's quite comfortable jumping into midfield to help us with our press. He's quite comfortable obviously staying in his position as well, but it's that sort of tactical understanding.
“I think he's elite with his brain in terms of seeing the game. That's what you get with experienced players in that area of the pitch. It's him, Dan [Burn] and the other defenders we've had have done really well this year.”
Newcastle United still in the market for a new centre-back
Newcastle are still targeting a centre-back this summer. Although Schar’s services have been retained, club captain Jamaal Lascelles is out of contract and as it stands is set to leave. The same goes for Lloyd Kelly, whose loan at Juventus is expected to turn permanent for £20million.
Howe’s side tried to sign Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi last summer but refused to meet his £70million asking price. The interest in Guehi remains but other targets are being explored with United last week linked with Liverpool centre-back Jarell Quansah.
When asked about the summer transfer market on Monday, Howe replied: “That is going on in the background probably without my involvement at the moment. But that will change hopefully in the next few weeks.”
YOUR NEXT READ:Bruno Guimaraes tells Newcastle United teammate to 'get out' after unusual social media post.