itv.com

Israel orders new evacuations in Gaza as military operation to expand

Many are packing up a few belongings and trudging off in search of new shelters.

Israel has ordered the evacuation of Gaza's southern city of Rafah, indicating it could soon be launching further military operations in the area.

Making the order, Israel's military called for Palestinians in Gaza's Southern region to move to the Al Mawasi area, a group of tents along the eastern coast. The orders came during Eid al-Fitr, normally a festive time for Muslims.

After 18 months of fighting, many in Gaza are simply refusing to move.

Ihab Suliman and his family fled Jabaliya in northern Gaza in March. At the time they could only grab some food and blankets before making their way south. It was their eighth time fleeing since the conflict began.

“There is no longer any taste to life," said Suliman, a former university professor. "Life and death have become one and the same for us.”

Suliman and his family now face the prospect of a ninth evacuation as they look for further temporary shelter.

Last month Israel ended a two-month ceasefire which had seen relief from the fighting and the release of 25 Israeli hostages. Nearly a year and a half into the conflict, many living in Gaza report feeling exhausted.

“I had a breakdown the day the war resumed. I didn’t leave the house,” said Sara Hegy, who had started an online tutoring job a few days before Israel relaunched its assault.

Noor Abu Mariam said she and her brother and parents have already been displaced 11 times over the course of the war. Now back in Gaza City, she said she can't do it again.

“I refuse to leave the house no matter the circumstances because I am not psychologically prepared to relive those difficult days I lived in the south."

Since March 2, Israel has blocked all food, tents and aid from entering Gaza.

“After one year and a half of war that has exhausted everyone, children and their parents, too, are just worn out physically and mentally,” said Rosalia Bollen, Unicef’s communication specialist.

On Tuesday, the World Food Program shut down all its bakeries in Gaza, on which hundreds of thousands rely for bread, because it had run out of flour.

Israel’s evacuation orders now cover large swaths of the Gaza Strip, including many areas of Gaza City and towns in the north.

Talks for any further ceasefires have yet to show progress and Israel's PM Benjamin Netanyahu said last month any peace talks would be conducted "under fire".

Subscribe free toour weekly newsletter for exclusive and original coverage from ITV News. Direct to your inbox every Friday morning.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know...

Read full news in source page