manchesterworld.uk

Fabrizio Romano: Man Utd eye £40m striker who is expected to make summer move and who will…

Man United are in the market for reinforcements this summer

Manchester United’s issues in front of goal reared their head again on Tuesday night as they lost 1-0 to Nottingham Forest at the City Ground on their return to Premier League action after the international break.

Harry Maguire had the Red Devils’ best chance as he poked the ball towards goal deep into stoppage time, he found a way past Matz Sels but commanding Forest defender Murillo had got back on the line to clear the ball away and preserve the hosts’ one-goal lead. Anthony Elanga scored the only goal after just five minutes with a stunning run and finish to score against his former club.

Scoring regularly has been an issue for Man United this season with just 37 goals in 30 games. A striker this summer is one of the priority’s for the club, while Amorim is also keen to strengthen in other positions.

Fabrizio Romano on Man United interest in Liam Delap

In his latest Give Me Sport newsletter, Fabrizio Romano was asked about the latest on Liam Delap’s situation at Ipswich Town. The transfer expert said that the player is expected to move clubs in the summer and that are a number of teams - including United - are interested.

He said: “There are several clubs attentive to the situation, from Chelsea as they were already keen in January to Manchester United who've add 4/5 names to the striker list and will also decide based on budget availability. The expectation is for a summer move, for sure.”

The update came via Romano’s Give Me Sport newsletter which is emailed to subscribers. A sign up link can be found HERE.

Speaking back in January, Delap was on the end of some major praise from Premier League record goal-scorer Alan Shearer. The ex-Newcastle United star said after Delap scored in a 2-2 draw with Fulham: "As a centre-forward, I always said to myself that you have to be aggressive. You have to come off the pitch and ask yourself if you've give the centre-halves a tough afternoon. There is no doubt that he can say that after this game.

"He held the ball up, he ran in behind and when his team were under pressure he won free-kicks to ease that pressure. He was a nuisance to play against. I loved his aggression right from the off. You've got a really confident, young footballer who is only going to get better.”

Delap could provide Man United major goal threat - and is a realistic target

With Ipswich facing relegation, United can offer Delap Premier League football next season. They are set to face competition from Premier League rivals but Delap may prove more affordable than other targets such as Victor Osimhen and Viktor Gyökeres, who would both have to give up European football to join the Red Devils - in the event Man United don’t win the Europa League.

Delap may also be tempted to join United as he could immediately become the club’s first choice centre-forward. Rasmus Hojlund and Joshua Zirkzee have both failed to impress this season and have been linked with summer exits. Last month it was claimed five clubs across Italy and Germany were looking at Hojlund.

Manchester City do have a buyback clause for Delap so could scupper a potential move but the striker’s ability in front of goal could fix United’s issues in that area. He has scored 10 of Ipswich’s 28 goals this season while providing two assists - meaning he has been involved in just under half of the club’s goals all campaign. United lack an out-and-out threat and Delap could provide it for them. The Daily Mail has reported that discussions have been held internally at the club about Delap who would cost £40m this summer.

Read full news in source page