The latest defender that the Red Devils have been linked to is Barcelona’s Ronald AraujoThe latest defender that the Red Devils have been linked to is Barcelona’s Ronald Araujo
The latest defender that the Red Devils have been linked to is Barcelona’s Ronald Araujo | Getty Images
Manchester United are reportedly interested in a 26-year-old centre-back to bolster their defence.
Manchester United will be looking to address several positions in the summer transfer window after an underwhelming season in the Premier League.
They sit 13th after 30 matches and could drop down to 16th this week if West Ham, Everton and Tottenham all win. Ruben Amorim’s side lost 1-0 to Nottingham Forest on Tuesday after a goal from Anthony Elanga was enough to claim all three points for Forest.
The Red Devils will need reinforcements in the transfer window, with one position of priority being at centre-back due to the imminent departures of both Victor Lindelof and Jonny Evans who will become free agents at the end of the season.
Man United’s interest in Barcelona star Araujo
The latest defender that the Red Devils have been linked to is Barcelona’s Ronald Araujo as a long-term replacement for Lindelof and Evans at the back for Amorim.
Araujo has fallen out of favour in Hansi Flick’s side meaning that he is more likely to be available for a transfer in the summer window. He’s made just 13 appearances for Barcelona this season, scoring two goals and providing two assists.
According to Spanish outlet Fichajes, Man United are the club that have shown the “greatest interest” in the 26-year-old. It says that United are reportedly keen to open negotiations in the summer to try and secure the Uruguayan.
The report says that Barcelona has set a minimum price of £50 million for Araujo as they are keen to strengthen their defence with new signings. Seeing as Araujo has only made 13 appearances this year, it makes sense for the La Liga side to sell him this summer. He was linked with a move to Juventus in January but it never materialised.
The defender has previously been linked with a move to Premier League rivals Arsenal and Chelsea, however, it now seems that the Red Devils are the frontrunners to land the 26-year-old.
Araujo knows United midfielder Manuel Ugarte well with the pair having played together with Uruguay since 2020. They have played a total of 10 games together at international level, with Uruguay unbeaten in all games they have played, winning eight and drawing twice but they did go on to beat Brazil on penalties last year in one of those drawn matches.
Man United also linked to Premier League defender
Araujo isn’t the only centre-back that has been linked with a move to Old Trafford in the summer window as reports have also suggested that they could sign West Ham United defender Jean-Clair Todibo.
The Frenchman is on loan at the London Stadium from Ligue 1 side Nice, but the Hammers have a £35m obligation to buy the defender, which they will likely do in the summer transfer window.
United would then be able to make an offer for the 25-year-old, something that they couldn’t do in the summer due to Jim Ratcliffe’s financial involvement in Nice. However, with Todibo a permanent West Ham player in the summer, United could pick to make a move for him instead.
For your next United read, Why Harry Maguire played up front for Man United against Nottingham Forest.