mirror.co.uk

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti pictured in court and may face four years in prison

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti appeared in Madrid's High Court of Justice on Wednesday as he stands trial over tax evasion during his first spell in charge of Los Blancos

Comments

Sport

12:37, 02 Apr 2025

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti arrives at the High Court of Justice of Madrid to go on trial

(Image: Burak Akbulut/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Real Madrid head coach Carlo Ancelotti has been pictured in the High Court of Justice of Madrid as he stands accused of tax evasion worth £834,275. The Italian risks a jail term of more than four years over the alleged tax fraud.

Ancelotti is accused failing to declare earnings related to his image rights in 2014 and 2015. That is said to have cost the Spanish treasury a figure of more than €1m. The former AC Milan boss is accused of using a 'confusing' and 'complex' series of shell companies to hide his earnings during that time. Ancelotti is said to have declared his personal remuneration from Real Madrid, but not his other earnings.

The 65-year-old arrived for the hearing on Wednesday and the trial is not expected to last more than two days. The prosecution are seeking a sentence of four years and nine months for Ancelotti, who is in his second spell with Los Blancos.

Ancelotti denies wrongdoing and will fight the charges. Previously, he has admitted to underpaying tax in 2014 but blamed errors made by his accountants.

READ MORE: How Arsenal could line up against Real Madrid as Mikel Arteta worried about FOUR defendersREAD MORE: Premier League clubs hope to save £150m by opposing Gary Neville-backed idea

The ex- Bayern Munich manager insists he did not break the law in 2015 as he spent less than the 183 days in Spain required to pay tax. Prosecutors contend that Ancelotti's main source of income during the period was from Real Madrid however, as he did not take charge of Bayern Munich until the following year.

"This is an old story," Ancelotti has previously told reporters. "The Prosecutor’s Office believes I was a resident in 2015, and I believe I wasn’t.

"The fine has been paid, and the case is in the hands of my lawyers. I’m convinced I’m innocent. Let’s see what the judge decides."

Carlo Ancelotti is accused of tax evasion

Carlo Ancelotti is accused of tax evasion(Image: Burak Akbulut/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Carlo Ancelotti stands trial

Carlo Ancelotti attends his trial(Image: Burak Akbulut/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Ancelotti arrived in court on Wednesday just hours after Real Madrid secured progression in the Copa del Rey. Los Merengues navigated a dramatic tie to overcome Real Sociedad.

Entering the game with a one-goal advantage, Real Madrid went back and forth with their opponents. Mikel Oyarzabal scored a 93rd minute goal to claim a 4-3 victory in normal time at the Bernabeu and forced an additional 30 minutes.

Antonio Rudiger proved the hero for the home side during extra-time however. The former Chelsea defender head in from Arda Guler's corner in the 115th minute to earn a place in the competition's final.

Join our new WhatsApp community and receive your daily dose of Mirror Football content. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don't like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you're curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.

Read full news in source page