chroniclelive.co.uk

Astonishing Sandro Tonali plan rejected by Newcastle United as Juventus feel heat on Lloyd Kelly

Newcastle midfielder Sandro Tonali

Newcastle midfielder Sandro Tonali

Sandro Tonali is the number one target for Juventus this summer - according to reports in Italy this morning.

A front page headline on La Gazzetta dello Sport read: "Juve have a plan for Tonali." However, despite bold talk of an offer worth £70million for the classy Italy international the Serie A club simply can't afford Newcastle United ace Tonali.

The suggestions have been instantly dismissed by sources at Newcastle with reports also saying that Juventus will offer Lloyd Kelly and Douglas Luiz in a swap package for Tonali's services. Chronicle Live has been repeatedly told that the Magpies have no desire to sell Tonali, not least after 150,000 fans chanted his name for the star on the Town Moor on Saturday night while Eddie Howe loves the midfielder.

The 24-year-old is also tied down to a contract with Newcastle for another three years and has declared he is delighted with life at St James' Park. Nevertheless, leaks to the press in Turin have resulted in Tonali's name being spoken about as Juve's top target for the summer market.

Sporting director Cristiano Giuntoli is feeling the heat and has been hit with criticism for signing Newcastle defender Kelly. And the report this morning contains astonishing suggestions that Giuntoli is readying a swap deal to offer Kelly back to Newcastle plus Douglas Luis in return for Tonali plus cash.

Juve are poised to see a £20m transaction for Kelly go through once their qualification for Europe is confirmed in any of the three UEFA competitions. The Italian giants sit fifth in the Serie A table, three points behind third-placed Atalanta but just three points ahead of seventh-placed Lazio.

La Gazzetta reports: "The Lloyd Kelly signing has cost Giuntoli a fair amount of criticism and is the key. Giuntoli has opened a channel with Newcastle thanks to the English centre-back. A bridge that he will try to exploit for Tonali.

"There is no negotiation yet, but at Juventus they are aware that a significant investment will be necessary to sit at the table with the rich British club.

"At least 60-70 million. A mountain of money that Juventus hopes to mitigate by expanding the operation. The idea is to include a player in the deal and the main suspect remains Douglas Luiz."

Italy centre-back Federico Gatti and Dusan Vlahovic are also mooted as possible swap deals on offer for Tonali. Serbia star Vlahovic has proven himself in Italy with 86 Serie A goals to his name but had fallen out of favour at Juve.

Speaking on his own dedication to Newcastle, Tonali said last week: "I feel like I owe them back for the last year and the 10 month ban. I was at the training ground and at St James' Park and from the fans I felt the same love as the players who were starting the game. I felt much better after every game."

Read full news in source page