Falcons owner Arthur Blank met with the media yesterday to discuss a variety of topics. Among them was Atlanta’s draft plans for later this month, which he said will focus on the defensive side of the ball.
Arthur Blank speaking now, says the Falcons' draft emphasis will be on the defensive side of the ball.
— Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) April 1, 2025
The Falcons have been pretty clear about this since the NFL Combine, where they only sent defensive coaches and used all of their allotted interviews on defensive players. It’s the side of the ball that’s plagued the organization for the last two decades, and there are really no areas that should be overlooked.
The defensive line is littered with holes on the edge and interior, especially with Grady Jarrett moving onto Chicago. The second level offers a little more hope, but Kaden Elliss and Troy Andersen are in the last year of their respective deals. Finding a long-term answer at linebacker could still be in the cards in the early rounds of the draft, and the secondary has holes at cornerback and safety. Outside of A.J. Terrell and Jessie Bates, every other position can stand to be upgraded.
But while the defense should be the focal point, the offense — particularly the offensive line — cannot be ignored. Starting center Drew Dalman followed Grady Jarrett to Chicago. The Falcons have faith in his backup Ryan Neuzil, but at the very least, competition should be brought in, whether through free agency or the draft.
Finding a dominant right tackle should also be a top priority with a left-handed quarterback like Michael Penix Jr. It might be the second most important position on the team, and while Kaleb McGary is better than some people like to give him credit for, he hasn’t done enough to secure his spot in Atlanta protecting Michael Penix’s blindside for the foreseeable future.
—
Photographer: Rich von Biberstein/Icon Sportswire
Share The Love