newcastleworld.com

Bryan Mbeumo makes complimentary Newcastle United claim after 2-1 Brentford defeat

Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com

and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565

Visit Shots! now

Brentford winger Bryan Mbeumo is a player of interest to Newcastle United.

Bryan Mbeumo felt Brentford “deserved more” from their 2-1 defeat against a “very good” Newcastle United side on Wednesday night.

After falling behind to Alexander Isak’s opener on the brink of half-time, Mbeumo pulled his side level in the 66th minute when he converted the penalty that Nick Pope conceded for fouling Yoane Wissa in the box.

But it ultimately counted for nothing as the Magpies clinched a victory in fortuitous fashion when Sandro Tonali’s cross-turned-shot caught out at Mark Flekken at his near post.

Bryan Mbeumo makes ‘very good’ Newcastle United claim

Reflecting on the result, Mbeumo told Premier League Productions (via BBC Sport): “It is a hard one tonight and we deserved more. It was good performance but at the end it was not enough. I think we knew it was going to be a tough game against a very good side and at the end it was a bit frustrating. It is hard to take.

"We knew it is important to get the points away. It is always tough to come here. It is really tight and we are going to give it our best game by game and see where it takes us."

Bryan Mbeumo is a transfer target for Newcastle United

Mbeumo is Brentford’s top scorer this campaign with 16 goals - only Mohamed Salah, Erling Haaland, Alexander Isak and Chris Wood have scored more. It is little wonder he has been linked with a move elsewhere with Newcastle, Liverpool and Arsenal among the clubs said to be interested.

The Cameroon international is reportedly valued between £50million to £60m, though it is not yet clear if any clubs will bite at that price.

Click here to join NewcastleWorld's dedicated NUFC WhatsApp channel for news, videos and voice notes. CLICK THE BELLFOR NOTIFICATIONS.

While the recent sales of Elliot Anderson, Yankuba Minteh, Miguel Almiron and soon Lloyd Kelly have put Newcastle in a strong position regarding Premier League Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSR), sporting director Paul Mitchell is keen to avoid paying premium prices for Premier League players.

Last summer, Mitchell was tasked with signing Crystal Palace defender Marc Guehi but refused to meet the £70m asking price. Like the centre-back position, a right forward is high on Newcastle’s transfer list with only Jacob Murphy the recognised option after Almiron’s departure to Atlanta United in January.

Read More

But Mbeumo isn’t the only player Eddie Howe’s side are looking at with PSV Eindhoven’s Johan Bakayoko, Chelsea’s Noni Madueke and AFC Bournemouth’s Antoine Semenyo also of interest.

What’s been said about Bryan Mbeumo’s future?

Bees manager Thomas Frank has previously admitted Mbeumo will go on to play for a bigger club, while the player himself has spoken about his ambitions to play at the very top level.

Mbeumo said last year: “I have spent five years at Brentford, at a club that has allowed me to grow and pass a milestone but yes, I would like to play in the biggest competitions, at the best clubs. It is tantalising to see some big clubs interested in me. We will see.”

Continue Reading

Read full news in source page