The death toll from the massive earthquake that hit Myanmar nearly a week ago has increased to 3,085 as more bodies were found by search and rescue teams, the military-led government said.
In a short statement, the military said another 4,715 people have been injured and 341 are missing.
The epicentre of Friday’s 7.7 magnitude earthquake was near Mandalay, Myanmar’s second-largest city.
A damaged pagoda is seen in the aftermath of Friday’s earthquake in Amarapura township, Mandalay, Myanmar (AP)
A damaged pagoda is seen in the aftermath of Friday’s earthquake in Amarapura township, Mandalay, Myanmar (AP)(AP)
It brought down thousands of buildings, buckled roads and destroyed bridges in multiple regions.
Senate rebukes Trump’s tariffs on Canadian importsWorld reacts with caution to Trump’s tariffs
Local media reports of casualties have been much higher than the official figures and with telecommunications widely out and many places difficult to reach, it’s thought the numbers could rise sharply as more details come in.
Myanmar’s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what has turned into a civil war.
Damaged buildings are seen in the aftermath of Friday’s earthquake in Naypyitaw, Myanmar (AP)
Damaged buildings are seen in the aftermath of Friday’s earthquake in Naypyitaw, Myanmar (AP)(AP)
The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis, after more than three million people had been displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million were in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.
Amid growing fears that ongoing fighting could hamper humanitarian aid efforts, the military declared a temporary ceasefire on Wednesday, through to April 22.
The announcement followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule.
Victims line up for food on a road near Mandalay palace in the aftermath of Friday’s earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar (AP)
Victims line up for food on a road near Mandalay palace in the aftermath of Friday’s earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar (AP)(AP)
In the military’s announcement, it said it would still take “necessary” measures against those groups if they use the ceasefire to regroup, train or launch attacks.
In Bangkok, where the quake brought down a skyscraper under construction, the search for survivors and bodies continued as Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said a possible sound of life was detected amid the rubble.
Twenty-two people were killed, and 35 injured, in the city, mostly by the collapse of the unfinished building.