The latest Manchester United news as the former captain has appeared to aim another dig at the midfielder.
Comments
Sport
Roy Keane arrives prior to the Premier League match between Manchester United FC and Arsenal FC at Old Trafford.
Roy Keane has appeared to aim another dig at Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes.
(Image: Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images)
Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane has appeared to aim yet another dig at current captain Bruno Fernandes, suggesting that he may not be captain material.
The midfielder has been a standout player for United since making the move from Sporting in January 2020. He had been on the scoresheet in each of his last four games in all competitions, but couldn’t help Ruben Amorim's side overcome Nottingham Forest in Tuesday night’s game.
Anthony Elanga’s 5th minute goal was enough to separate the two sides as United fell to a 1-0 defeat at the City Ground. The result leaves them in 13th place in the Premier League table.
On the latest episode of the Overlap, United fan and World Darts champion Luke Littler appeared a guest. In a clip shared on their social media channel, Littler praises Fernandes, but that prompts a response from Keane.
Littler said on Fernandes: “There’s not a number eight better, I’d say.”
But Keane then adds: “As a player yeah, but as a captain…” he then waves his hand as if to signal that he is unsure, which prompts laughs from the panel including Littler, Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville.
There's been some back and forth between Keane and Fernandes in the media in recent weeks, with the Man United legend calling out the current captain following their 2-2 draw with Everton back in February.
Fernandes would fire back at Keane, responding: "Obviously, I know you are talking about Roy Keane. As I have said before, I have a huge respect for Roy Keane. I think he is one of the best captains the club has had and he was an amazing player for the club.
"It is the way he thinks, the idea he has about me as a player, as a captain, and I have to respect that. I do things in my own way to try to be the best, not captain, but person and teammate as I can."
Keane's latest comments come amid reports that Fernandes is on Real Madrid’s radar for a possible transfer this summer. It’s reported by the Daily Star that the Spanish giants are weighing up a £90 million move for the United captain.
The 30-year-old has played a total of 278 games for United since joining the club. In that time, he has scored 95 goals and provided a further 82 assists.
He officially took over a captain from Harry Maguire at the start of the 2023/24 Premier League campaign after former boss Erik ten Hag appointed him as captain.
Here at the Manchester Evening News, we’re dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester United coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don’t miss out on the latest United news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get all the breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day’s biggest stories.
And finally, if you’d rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Manchester is Red podcast, featuring The Samuel Luckhurst Show and The Midweek Debate. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.