sportsmole.co.uk

Report: Newcastle transfer news: Juventus considering £33m-plus-player swap deal to sign…

Juventus are reportedly considering a player-plus-cash swap deal to sign Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali this summer.

The Italy international began his career with Brescia and then spent two seasons at AC Milan before completing a £55m transfer to Newcastle in the summer of 2023.

Tonali endured a challenging start to life at St James' Park as he was handed a 10-month ban from football for breaching betting rules, but since returning from that lengthy suspension in August last year, he has established himself as a first-team regular under Eddie Howe.

The 24-year-old, who has formed a successful midfield partnership with Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton, has made 36 appearances for Newcastle across all competitions this season, chipping in with four goals and two assists.

Tonali still has over three years remaining on his contract on Tyneside, but speculation over his long-term future with the Magpies has been rife in recent weeks.

Italy's Sandro Tonali celebrates after scoring on March 20, 2025© Imago

Juventus plotting ambitious player-plus-cash Tonali move

A recent report claims that Newcastle will not entertain offers for Tonali this summer despite growing interest in his services from La Liga leaders Barcelona.

Now, La Gazzetta dello Sport claim that Serie A giants Juventus are plotting an ambitious move to lure the midfielder back to his homeland.

The report adds that Juve have 'made contact' with Newcastle about Tonali and are ready to offer the Premier League side both cash and a player to bring him to Turin.

It is claimed that Newcastle value Tonali between £50m and £58m, but Juventus could offer the Magpies £33m plus one of three players who they are willing to offload.

Former Aston Villa man Douglas Luiz is said to be top of that list after failing to settle into life in Turin following his move from Villa Park last summer.

Centre-back Federico Gatti is believed to be of interest to Newcastle, while Juve are aware that the Magpies may be in the market for a new striker if they decide to cash in on Alexander Isak and are therefore weighing up the possibility of including Dusan Vlahovic in a swap deal for Tonali.

Sandro Tonali for Newcastle United on December 18, 2024© Imago

Tonali has sights set firmly on Champions League qualification

Tonali scored an extraordinary goal in Newcastle's 2-1 victory over Brentford in the Premier League on Wednesday and has admitted that his drilled effort from the right touchline "was 70% cross and 30% shot."

The Italian's strike has helped strengthen Newcastle's Champions League qualification hopes, with Howe's side currently sitting fifth in the Premier League table and just one point behind fourth-placed Manchester City who have played a game more.

"I am happy for the team and happy for this win," Tonali told reporters after the match. "It is three points that can help us come back to the Champions League. This is a massive win for us. We need to win every game at St James' Park.

"Now we play only (to be among) the first five teams, for the Champions League. It is a little bit tough, but we are lucky because there are five teams in the Champions League this season.

"The team is a little bit free, so it is much better for me and for the fans. Now we have nine finals to get back into the Champions League."

Discussing how he has coped since returning from his 10-month ban, Tonali said: "It was a difficult season, but now I am happy to come back free, come back happy. I am a new player. I just want to help this team and these players.

"The players for me are amazing and the fans are too. Everybody in Newcastle is happy. We will push 100% for this city."

Tonali, who helped Newcastle win the EFL Cup last month, is now focused on Newcastle's next Premier League game away against Leicester City next Monday.

ID:569337:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect6863:

Read full news in source page