A former Manchester United star has played down Jadon Sancho's chances of making a permanent move to Chelsea after questioning his performance levels this season
Comments
Sport
Jadon Sancho in action for Chelsea
Chelsea may opt out of a deal to sign Jadon Sancho on a permanent deal from Manchester United this summer
(Image: CameraSport via Getty Images)
Former Manchester United star Ben Foster has raised doubts over whether Chelsea will take up the option to sign Jadon Sancho permanently. It follows the emergence of a clause in his loan deal that could see the winger stay at Old Trafford.
Sancho joined Chelsea from United on transfer deadline day last summer. It was reported at the time that the Blues had an obligation to buy him for £25million this summer on the condition they finish at least 14th in the Premier League this season.
Article continues below
With Enzo Maresca's side currently fourth, it looks like that condition will definitely be met. However, claims emerged last month that Chelsea are believed to have a potential get-out by paying United £5m in compensation not to sign Sancho.
Ex-Red Devils goalkeeper Foster thinks Chelsea will take the smaller financial hit rather than fork out eight figures for a player who has endured a frustrating season at Stamford Bridge. Foster, who played for United between 2005 and 2010, also suggested Sancho's wages could be the biggest stumbling block to his permanent departure.
"I would be very surprised if Chelsea took up that option (to buy him) and paid the money," he said on his Fozcast podcast. "He's been okay this season, but Jadon Sancho hasn't ripped up any trees. If he did rip up trees, £25million is a snip in today's market.
"But I think he's started 17 games for Chelsea in the Premier League this season and only got two goals and four assists. It's not what you want and it's not enough really. He probably is going to go back to Man United and Chelsea are going to have to pay £5million to send a player back.
Jadon Sancho of Manchester United
Jadon Sancho's future is still up in the air after Chelsea's get-out clause emerged
"The problem is the wages are £200,000 a week apparently, so he's going to go back to Manchester United, and he's probably going to do something similar to what he's done at Chelsea. He'll start off the games and he'll do okay, but it's not going to be enough."
Foster aired his views despite Chelsea's head coach stressing that Sancho's situation has not changed. Maresca addressed the uncertainty surrounding the player's future at a press conference on Wednesday morning after being asked whether he had a message for Sancho.
He said: "No but, to be honest, probably you have more news than me, in terms of Jadon. For me, Jadon's situation doesn't change; it's exactly the same. For sure, in terms of numbers, he could do better, no doubt, but it's not just about Jadon; I think we have more players in the same situation.
"Now, I don't need to give Jadon a message because I speak with Jadon every day. I had a conversation yesterday with him. He has just to continue to give his best until the end, and this is what we want from Jadon."