dailymail.co.uk

Brandon Williams: Man United were wrong to sack Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Brandon Williams has launched a passionate defence of former Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, insisting he never should have been sacked and that he brought the true 'DNA' of the club back to Old Trafford.

In an interview on Ben Foster's Fozcast podcast, the former United full-back also revealed that David de Gea still checks in on him regularly.

He also named Bruno Fernandes as 'by a mile' the best player he's played with.

Williams, now 24, came through United's academy and was handed his first-team debut by Solskjaer in 2019. He went on to make 36 appearances during his breakthrough season and was seen as one of the club's brightest young stars.

'For me, he's been probably the best I've worked under,' Williams said of current Besiktas boss Solskjaer, who was sacked by United in November 2021 after 168 games in the job.

'Even off the pitch, speaking to you, giving you advice, especially because I was young as well – he was like a really good mentor. I don't think he should have ever got sacked, to be honest. I think he was going in the right direction.'

Man United were wrong to sack Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (left), Brandon Williams (right) has said

Solskjaer was sacked in 2021, two years after handing Williams his first-team debut for United

Williams pictured during an appearance on Ben Foster's Fozcast podcast earlier this week

Williams pictured during an appearance on Ben Foster's Fozcast podcast earlier this week

'He knew the club, he knew what it was about, he knew the DNA of the club. That's what's been driven into me since I was a young kid… the United way. I felt like he brought that.'

Williams revealed that it was United legend Patrice Evra who first recommended him to Solskjaer. Evra was working with United's U21s while studying for his coaching badges and he told the Norwegian: 'You need to give this kid a chance.'

That paved the way for Williams to become a regular fixture in the squad during the 2019-20 season, but his career has since taken a dramatic downturn.

Released by United last summer after the expiry of a £65,000-a-week contract, Williams is currently without a club and awaiting sentencing for a dangerous driving offence that could land him in prison for up to two years.

He crashed his car at 99mph in Cheshire last August, just days before joining Ipswich Town on loan, with footage showing him with a balloon in his mouth while accompanied by a young woman.

The court heard that his driving was 'erratic' and his speed 'grossly excessive', with prosecutors saying it was 'fortunate' nobody was seriously injured. He pleaded guilty last month and is due to be sentenced on May 9.

The crash was the latest in a string of motoring offences for Williams, who has racked up 30 penalty points and served two driving bans.

Despite his troubles, Williams says he has received support from former team-mates, including legendary ex-United goalkeeper De Gea.

Williams made 51 first-team appearances for Man United before being released last summer

He was arrested after a high-speed car crash in August 2023 and could yet go to prison

Williams has not taken part in a competitive game since 2023 when he was on loan at Ipswich

'He still messages me,' Williams explained. 'He always makes sure I'm good.

'Honestly, David is top. He's such a good guy… just his music! He loves rock music, proper loud. But he's so sound.'

Williams was part of a dressing room packed with talent in 2019, and he believes United made a mistake by dismantling that group too quickly — particularly by moving on from players like Scott McTominay and Marcus Rashford.

'That team was quality,' Williams added. 'That was the foundation. You can build on that team… I think they got rid of too many of those players.

'Scott would've been a crucial part of this team right now. A proper spine of the team. I don't really think I can name anyone in that team right now that's like a Scott, like a Marcus.'

Williams reserved special praise for ex-United midfielder Paul Pogba, who has been out of action since 2023 after serving a ban for a doping offence, and current Red Devils skipper Fernandes.

'I love Bruno,' Williams beamed. 'Bruno's literally… he's the best player I've played with by a mile.

'Like, when I'm saying "played with", I mean on a consistent basis – like, I played a few games with him. Pogba's in there as the best, like, in training and stuff like that – like, he can do everything – but I just played with Bruno more.

Williams revealed that former United goalkeeper David de Gea still checks in on him regularly

Former United team-mates Bruno Fernandes (left) and Paul Pogba (right) pictured back in 2022

'And Bruno, the way he just conducts himself off the pitch and on the pitch as well – like, how he speaks to you... Everyone always moans at him for throwing his hands up, moaning at players – and like, that's just him. That's how he gets his points across to players, and he's a very good leader.'

On Pogba, Williams went on: 'He's got everything. If you had to build a midfielder, you're building someone like him. Yeah, I'm excited for him to be back and to see how he gets on. It would've been a tough time for him.

'I was actually away in America – and this was about two years ago – and I spoke to him. He was just asking how I was and stuff like that.

Read More Ex-Man United star Brandon Williams, 24, reveals he considered RETIRING as he opens up on downfall

'He's basically from Manchester – he was here from such a young age, he knows it, and like, he knows what type of people we are as Mancunians. Like, even with Jesse [Lingard] and with Marcus [Rashford] and everything, so he gets that side of the banter and stuff like that. So I can actually talk to him on a serious level and a jokey level.'

Williams also reflected on the strong dressing-room culture under Solskjaer and the bond among the squad during his time in charge, crediting that environment for helping young players settle into the first team.

Williams joined United at the age of seven. He made 51 senior appearances for the club before leaving on a free transfer.

His departure came four years after he signed a contract worth more than £3million per season.

Read full news in source page